What day is it, you ask? Why, today is the day of my 50th blog post. Please, hold your applause.
But seriously yes, today, or more suitably, this post, is my 50th. Which is something, I guess. I'm surprised and very glad that I've been able to keep blogging, and I hope to keep it up for a long time yet. I've made some great followers in the time I've spent blogging, and I've followed some great blogs as well. This little community of bloggers and blogging is I think, amazing. That we do what we do, write what we write, for complete strangers to read, is really something. I mentioned this in my last entry, but I just have to say it again; blogging really is an amazing tool. I think you'll all agree with me on that point. We've all had our eyes opened and our opinions enlightened, broadened and maybe even changed by what we've read on someones blog. By someone we don't know and will likely never meet. That's quite a feat.
I started blogging just under a year ago with the intention of my blog being more along the lines of a photo blog. I do still post the occasional picture (and will today, but more on that in a bit), but I wasn't able to find the time to consistently shoot new pictures and upload them. Plus, I like the way my blog has shaped now. There's no rhythm to it, there's no sequence or anything, it's just what I'm thinking at the time. There's no order to my posts, there is no method to my madness. It is, for better or worse, unstructured and relatively free-form.
There are a few posts I've written that were completely serious and required me to put forth some real thought in just what to write and just how to articulate it to get my thoughts across correctly. I'm going to risk coming off like a douche for a bit and link to the posts that have meant the most to me (in no particular order) and I hope have come across as such:
They're mostly relatively recent, which I guess shows I've become more inclined to get serious and 'deep' with my stuff, but that's not always the case, as witnessed here..:
I've done serious posts on things that I'm pretty set on, to posts that have no meaning other than to elicit a laugh or two for no reason whatsoever. I've got great feedback on whatever I've written, and for that I'm grateful. No one has (so far) taken a shot me for what I've written, which says a lot about how open minded all, or most, of us are. Which I think we'd have to be in the start to blog anyway. The comments, input and advice I've got back from you guys has been truly great. I love reading new comments and getting new followers, and I do honestly check my Dashboard everyday for each everyday.
I just wish I had more time to post. Time's always a factor, but these days I don't have time to do much at all. And that's something I really regret, because I love typing out a new entry and seeing everyones response/s. You meet some great people through blogging; I know I sure as hell have. I'm glad I've taken up blogging, as it has been very rewarding so far, and I hope it continues to be so in the future for as long as I can keep this up. I just hope my blog is worthy of everyones time.
Anyway, onto some news.
I got a new lens the other day (win).
![]() |
| Enter the big gun. |
It's an AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm F4 IF-ED lens, and it is a monster. It's roughly 8 inches long and weighs 1.2kg (or 2.6lb), so it's a hefty little titan, and it cost me a pretty penny. I've always wanted a macro lens though, which is why I spent as much as I did on it. Its bulk(/awesomeness) pretty much requires a tripod, or guns for arms (which I have, but I don't like to show off in public...) to support for any extended period. But then again, there are no real 'action' macro images, so a tripod is a bit of a must in the field for these types of lenses anyway.
I haven't had as much time as I'd have liked so far to really put it through its paces and learn how to use it effectively. But I have taken a few shots with it.
| Click on each for full-size awesomeness |
| It's meee |
![]() |
| Can anyone guess the exposure time..? HA. |
![]() |
They're pretty basic so far and I'm nowhere near becoming fluent with the lens and its use, but even after a few shots I can glean what it can do and how sharp it is. Here's hoping it jump-starts me back into taking more photos more often.
That's it for now. Again, thanks guys for keeping me blogging for as long as I have, and here's hoping for plenty more posts to come*raises platter of delicious and wholesome cheesecake*.
How Far We've Come
MatchboxTwenty
Exile on Mainstream, 2007



Awesometastic pictures. *a toast to the cheesecake!* :P
ReplyDeleteThat lens is AWESOME. I'm a bit of a camera n00b and I'm prone to being fascinated by everything.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your 50th blog post! *hands you celebratory butterbeer cupcake*
Congrats!
ReplyDeleteI love those pictures, too!
first of all, congratulations for reaching 50 posts! (the entire first paragraph made me LOL.) your blog is truly great and is one of my favourites.
ReplyDeletei agree with everything you said about the blogging community. making friends here is so much fun, and getting your words read and acknowledged is super awesome too.
i like the fact that you can be super hilarious in some posts and be serious and sensible in others. your blog is totally versatile and i really like that.
i also wish i had more time to post :( but i too gain followers when i'm not regular haha :P
OMG your camera is MASSIVE :O and those pictures are really nice. i especially like the second one, what is that? :O it looks like those crystal balls that fortune tellers have. way cool.
♥
DOLPHIN!!! And really cool camera!
ReplyDelete50th post? Congrats. I always tell myself that I need to celebrate those kinds of landmarks for myself, but I always forget about them. So far I've missed 50th, 100th, AND 150th on The Nerd Archives and 50th on Death is like a lemon. Bad Christopher.
I love all of the photos. Especially the water droplets. I always love photography involving water.
Great post! Do you listen to Radiohead?
Awwwwwwww, cheers guys.
ReplyDeleteFurree: I blushed numerous times whilst reading your comment, well played.
The second pic is some water feature thing my parents have. That ball thing is a little spinning glass ball that constantly revolves as water is poured on it. There are meant to be three coloured lights behind it, but they've blown or something. The picture would have been so much better if the lights still lit up. Fail.
TBG: YES. DOLPHIN. I only regret that it is not a shark, as sharks are awesome.
I've got a thing for water droplet shots too, there's just something about 'em...
And I've got 2 Radiohead albums, 'Pablo Honey' and their Best Of. I never became a big fan though, and I guess I only really liked the classics (Karma Police, Paranoid Android, Just, etc) so I wouldn't call myself a major fan. MaybeI should give their albums another couple of spins?
First of all, congrats on 50 posts! :) I love reading your blog - whether it's the funny posts or the serious ones, you always have great content (and even with the serious ones you manage to make me laugh). I'm glad that you've stuck with blogging, and that we've been able to connect through it! You're a lovely person, and I always, always enjoy reading your posts (I feel like this was a very redundant paragraph, but I'm okay with that - never too many compliments, right?).
ReplyDeleteAnd holy shit - your pictures are RIDICULOUS. That first one is seriously insane. The lens might be the same size as my torso, but clearly it's paying off with these incredible pictures. I do not have enough nice things I could say about them - you have a lot of talent, kid :)