Friday, April 6, 2012

Where Did It All Go Wrong?

Soo, bit of a touchy subject. Or at least a subject which I don't know how to effectively broach. My three week gap between posts has been due to me pretty much being unable to properly put into words what I'm about to write about. I've had this idea or topic ready for well over a week, but I haven't been able to properly bring it forward - hence my hiatus. But I've decided 'what he hell', it's been long enough.

Now let's begin.



I'm Catholic. Let's start with that. But bear in mind this post has nothing to do with my particular religion, or any religion in particular for that matter. Actually, I still don't really know the real point of this post, but it's got to do with religion. Anyway, I'm Catholic, my whole family is Catholic, the whole sha-bang. We're practising Catholics, in that we go to church every week and go to all the 'event' services (for lack of a better phrase) - Good Friday, Christmas, etc. And that decision has never really been up to me, it's been made by my parents. And that's kind of what has brought this post around.

Me and my brother have no real say in whether we go or not, we just go. It's essentially forced. We have no real say in the matter. Or at least we didn't. I've recently started to 'rebel' against the whole situation, because I believe religion isn't something anyone should be forced into. Maybe 'forced' is too strong a word, but I still don't have much say in whether I go or not. Fair enough if I have plans for the night, I go and do what I've planned, but if I'm at home, I'm expected to go to church with my parents. That's always rubbed me the wrong way, but I've stuck with it. At least until recently, when I flat out said "No. You can't make me go to church,". That kind of worked, but I think it was more out of shock on my parents' part. A few weeks later, I tried the whole 'no' thing again and then got the answer that I was indeed coming to church. Soo, that didn't last too long.

Surprise Lolcat picture to break Wall-of-Text
Now so far it seems like I'm all anti-church and anti-religion. I'm not. There's nothing wrong with church or religion at all, just in the fact that I'm forced to go to it every week. What do my parents think is going to happen when I move out? That I'll still go routinely? No. And that's because I feel my parents have gone about it in the wrong way and left a bad impression. With me being constantly given no choice in the matter as to whether I attend church weekly or not, it's left a bad taste in my mouth. It feels like a chore, something that takes time out of my day, rather than something that leaves me feeling relaxed or revitalised or whatever. Religion isn't supposed to make you feel like that; it's meant to have the opposite effect. Isn't it? I feel that my parents have gone about the whole 'religion' thing in a very negative way. And the fact that they've failed to realise this is baffling. How can they think that forcing me to go will mean I'll still go when I'm living on my own? It won't. It's only starting to drive me further from it.

And that gets to me. Because I have nothing against church or my religion, and I don't want to lose it as I grow up and go through life. I've never been one who is skirts around the question 'what religion are you?'. I've never been ashamed to say that I'm Catholic. Hell, I'm one of the few people on facebook out of my friends that actually lists my religion in my 'About Me' section (not that that means much.). I'm just trying to make the point that I'm Catholic and proud of that fact. I don't want to lose that connection. But having no say as to whether I go to church every week has kind of tarred religion for me; religion isn't something that can or should be forced on someone. It should be done out of one's own volition and choice. Of course parents have a responsibility and the choice to bring up their kids how they want, I'm not doubting that, and I'm glad that I was brought up with a form of religion in my life. But now that I'm old enough (and indeed when anyone feels old enough) I should have the right to choose. And I feel that right has been taken from me. Or at least it will be until I move out and start my own life. In that aspect, I think my parents have failed. They just went about it the wrong way.

Another picture, for those of you still in the game
I can't fault them too much. Here in Australia, religion has been dying down for a while. It's not as focused as it is in the 'States for example, or even in my home country of Sri Lanka. The vast majority of people you see in church these days are older people. You rarely see people in their older teens to mid 30's... it's a pretty sad state. Religion has been on a steady decline down here for quite some time. And because of that, I can see where my parents are coming from. Also because they grew up in Sri Lanka, where religion is much more the norm. But still, I feel that if I ever have a kid (and depending on the religion of the Missus too, assuming she follows a religion) I would have my kid Baptised and brought up as a Catholic. I would want them to have at least some sort of religion in their life. But when I feel they're old enough, I would let them make their own choice as to whether or not they go to church. They should have that right. I should have that right, but I didn't, and still don't. I don't want to make the mistake my parents did.

Where do you guys stand? What's the situation like where you are? Do you 'practise' your religion? Do you get a say in it or not? I want to know what everyone else's thoughts and situations are like. I can't be the only one feeling like this, but what I'm feeling towards religion isn't 'right'. It isn't 'wrong' either, but I want to get peoples thoughts on the matter. It's been plaguing me a while, and I want to get a read of the room.

I just want to restate that I have nothing against religion in anyway. I'm Catholic, and glad of that fact. It might seem like I'm contradicting myself, but I'm simply saying that having no choice as to whether to go church or not isn't the way to get someone to stick with religion. If I was able to make the call whether or not I'd attend, I'd feel better about going. But that choice has been essentially taken away from me, and I feel that's wrong.

Anyway. Thoughts?

Final prize for those who read this far.

 Also, I realise that bringing this topic up on Good Friday isn't the greatest move, but... I got nothing.  As you were.



Where Did It All Go Wrong?
Oasis,
Standing on the Shoulder of Giants, 2000

23 comments:

  1. Good post. You don't have to worry about coming across as being anti-religion. You make that very clear.

    Personally I'm not religious. But I did experience a similar sentiment regarding my family. I have one younger sister, but lots of uncles, aunts, and cousins. I grew up with most of them, they were always around. During lunch break when I was still in school, after school to talk and have coffee together, and so on and so forth. Add to that the birthdays that were celebrated together, and the holidays, and you get an idea how big a part of my life that was.

    My mother has always sort of "forced" me into the family. She wanted me to participate whether I felt like it or not. She also gave me instructions, like when we were on a birthday she'd say: "Give your grandmother a kiss." I was going to give my grandmother a kiss anyway, but the fact that she said that (and that my grandmother could actually HEAR that, so she'd think I would not give her kiss if my mother hadn't given me the instruction), caused repulsion.

    Now lots has happened within what I call "la familia" so it's not the only cause, but the fact that my mother forced me into it only affected me in the way that I distanced myself from it. I loved my family, I liked being with them, and I still do, but I've been refusing to participate ever since I was old enough to make my own decision. Much to discontent of my mother; she wanted me to be with them and join them to birthdays, but in the end she couldn't make me anymore. I simply refused. Now that I live on my own I have sort of re-established the bond between myself and my cousins/aunts/uncles, but it's nothing like how my mother would've wanted it to be. I don't see them as often as she would've liked, and we're not as close.

    For me it works this way though. I honestly believe my mother's pushing has caused a repulsion from my part.

    If you don't want to disappoint your parents, or if you for some reason don't feel like telling them no and standing your ground, I think you should just go to church with them and, once on your own, re-establish your relationship with the church in your own way. The thing is, you can never stay away from something you love very much, and if you love the church as much as I love my family, things will work out for the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great comment.

      I see exactly where you're coming from with your family situation. Being forced into something rarely leaves a positive effect, especially when it's done for years. I mean, if we still see it as being 'forced' upon us after a period of time, obviously it's still being seen as a negative. Not cool.

      It's good that you've moved out and got your own thing going but still see family - just on your terms now. That must feel a lot better.

      For the moment it looks like I'm back to having no say in whether I go or not, so I'll still be going to church by the looks of it. It'll still leave a sour taste in my mouth, but I guess I'm still going one way or another, which means I won't lose my touch with religion - which is a good thing. But still, it feels liek going through the motions rather than going because it makes me feel better. That's not a good thing.

      I've honestly tried to make my parents see reason, but it's like talking to a wall. Such a frustrating situation.

      Anyway, thanks for your input, it was/is good advice.

      Delete
  2. Same here. But luckily for me, my dad (my parents are separated) hates going to church so I just stay with him during the weekend.

    I really have nothing against religion either. I just hate the feeling of being forced to participate in all the religious practices. Like praying the rosary every night. I feel like such a hypocrite when I sit there and recite the Hail Marys while having inappropriate fantasies about certain shirtless celebrities. It's just not right. And when I asked my mom why I have to pray the rosary when I know I won't be able to concentrate, she just said "are you a Catholic or not?" And when I told her that forcing me to pray the rosary when I think it's just a waste of time would make me hate being a Catholic even more, she just shook her head and left. Then the next day, she forced me to read some inspiration bull or else she'll put me in a retreat house.

    And I actually think it's good that you posted it today. Because I love meat and my Catholic-ness is preventing me from eating meat today.

    That was a long comment, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here about praying when you're not really 'feeling' it. It just amounts to saying words without any feeling or meaning behind them. I see that as ineffective.

      That sucks that you got given such a harsh ultimatum when you raised a completely valid point. I guess parents try to do their best, but their methods aren't the greatest.

      Cheers for your comment, and I didn't think it was long at all, I found it a good read.

      Delete
  3. I'm Hindu, in that both my parents are Hindu and my entire family is full of Hindus. That being said we are a more cultural family than most Hindus these days; and I think your dilemma, in the way I see it, is the dilemma between practicing culture vs. practicing religion.

    In my faith I have been able to clearly demarcate the two things - for example, going to the temple on religiously significant days is culture as per my family, but praying that I need the new Harry Potter book on the day it releases, or praying for speedy recovery of some relative, or praying for a safe journey etc. is not culturally required of me and yet I do it, and that's the way I practice my religion, a religion which tells me that god will hear my prayers.

    Ever since I was little - born, even - we've devoutly practiced Hinduism, and that fact has given me a lot of joy and strength. I suppose this is how you felt when you wrote "Because I have nothing against church or my religion, and I don't want to lose it as I grow up and go through life. I've never been one who skirts around the question 'what religion are you?'. I've never been ashamed to say that I'm Catholic. Hell, I'm one of the few people on facebook out of my friends that actually lists my religion... I'm just trying to make the point that I'm Catholic and proud of that fact. I don't want to lose that connection." So personally I think you should focus on just that, and ignore the doubt you have of religion being ruined for you because of your parents enforcing you to go to church. I doubt that that feeling you have, of being content with your religion, will change over the next few years - if anything, what will change is the way you look at your parents. So don't resent them for forcing you to go, and like Sabrina said, just do what they want you to, for now. I find that with parents, the path of least resistance is what brings the most joy and calmness for all involved. Which is a very important thing.

    I also think that this is a problem of you and your parents having conflicting values, and not essentially based on the religion aspect. Which is why I suggested that you should just go ahead and go to church with your family. That way, the issue with your parents will get resolved, and you'll also benefit in the long run because you'll get to keep your faith and still would have pleased your family.

    But this is just my opinion. You should, of course, do what feels right to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to get something positive out of it when I feel forced to go against my will essentially, but I do see your point.

      There a distinct difference though, between doing what you want because you WANT to, and doing something when you're forced to. Having your options taken out for you isn't a good thing.

      Even if I still get something out of going, I'll always know that I had no say in whether I had a choice or not. And that niggling little feeling will always get to me, regardless.

      You could be onto something when you mention me and my parents having other conflicting opinions. I never put the two together, but you could be right. We differ on a lot of things, and I let them know about that fact. Hmm. Good bit of insight there.

      And I could take the path of least resistance, but I'm a stubborn bastard with a bull-head, ha. But I'll see what I can do.

      Cheers.

      Delete
  4. I'm Jewish. I'm more religious than my parents, because at the age of 8 I decided that I wanted to observe the sabbath and stuff. It kind of stuck like that. Not in a bad way, mind you. My belief in God is entirely separate from my love of religion, which is kind of weird, I guess. But it works.

    It's good that you're proud of your religion. Religion is a very personal thing, and nobody else has the right to tell you how to practise it.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing it's more satifactory and rewarding because you're observing and doing it of your own free will? Wish I knew what that was like *wink*.

      Religion is indeed very personal. No one should be told what to think or what to do in regards to how it is approached.

      Thanks for your input.

      Delete
  5. Okay. I read this post a couple hours ago, and decided to wait until I was completely free to comment so that my post would be as thoughtful as possible. You BETTER feel honored. :D

    I can relate to this post so much. Honestly, I feel exactly how you feel about religion. My parents are exactly the same way about going to church on Sundays, except that there is no possible way I can get out of it. I'm forbidden to make plans or do anything on Sundays except for going to church. If I even offer the idea of me not going, a huge argument will ensue.

    Honestly, it's not fair, and I don't think our parents realize (look at me, the rebellious American that doesn't use an 's' in 'realize'!) that it's just turning us away from our religions and going to church in general. I'm starting to resent going to church because I have no say in the matter. Forcing your children to go to church when they clearly don't want to is not going to keep them going to church for the rest of their lives. You have to give them the choice, and see what happens.

    I've just kind of given up and am waiting until I leave for college to see what happens with my willingness to go to church, because there's no way I'm getting out of it right now. Are you thinking about moving out? If so, I think that's your best option.

    I wish there was a better option, and I'm jealous of those who don't have to go through this, but I guess that's the only thing I can offer. :\

    (By the way, those pictures? Bahahahaha awesome. The England one was the best.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel honoured. And special. And I appreciate the time you've taken to reply, ma'am.

      I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way about being forced to go. It sends completely the wrong message and is having the opposite effect of what parents want to get across. I just find it so surprising that they don't realise this. Sucks to be us.

      I haven't given up yet. I guess because I'm a bit older and have more independance that I have a bit more say than I think you do. I shall not squander this and I shall use it wisely, rest assured.

      Thanks for your comment.

      And fight the power sister. Respect for using 's' instead of 'z'. You should totally emmigrate to Australia.

      Delete
    2. And I had a good laugh the first time I saw that pic too haha. It's gold.

      Delete
  6. Welp. Let's just say I grew up as conservative as you can imagine. And not like Catholic conservative, but crazy Independent Fundamental Baptist conservative.

    I grew up in skirts and dresses and went to private Christian school. I went to church every Sunday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Sundays and Wednesdays the pastor stood at the pulpit screaming about hellfire and damnation. I didn't even get to wear pants until I was 12, when my parents divorced.

    I lived in the religion 24/7. There was a lot of corruption in the church that almost equaled the Catholic priest/little boys scandal.

    I went through the rest of my adolescence hating religion because I was so suffocated by it since birth. I'm just now coming around to the fact that not ALL religion is evil, but I don't think I'll ever join a congregation (or at least at this point I don't want to).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always knew I didn't have it as strict as some people, but DAMN girl, you have/had it strong. I guess I did come across as a bitching little urchin, huh? Ma bad.

      You live in Texas yeah? I guess the whole church scene there isn't exaggerated on TV and in the movies. It's a bit of good and bad, I'm guessing.

      This is a bit askew, but I hate with a passion seeing those evangelical, 'enlightened' people on TV doing the whole motivational or whatever it is speech to crowds and really trying to sell the whole religion thing. It sickens me, and sends completely the opposite message to the people outside. It really is shocking to witness at times.

      Cheers for the input.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^^ Clearly everyone has a lot of intellectual-talk going on. I'm mind-boggled.

      Anywho, let me save you the trouble and cut this short.

      I know, I know what you mean. I'm a half-breed, so my parents expect me to follow two different religions. Yes it's good and everything, and I'm not a devil-in-disguise forbidding that religion is the mockery of science or something. It's not. Or if people think it is, then it is.

      I fail at diplomacy.

      But to each, their own. You want to believe, go believe. You don't want to? That's fine too. You don't know what to believe? Suit yourself. Just don't impose anything.

      You sorta remind me of me. And I realised I posted a long comment when I said I would "cut this short".

      This isn't helping. OKAY EFF I'M OUT.

      Delete
    2. I've never known what it's like to follow two religions at once. I can imagine that balls would be tripped, though. That's an interesting situation, and one that I've never really thought about. Huh.

      And I don't like people imposing their religion either. I hate those billboards you see that have Christian/Catholic/whatever aligned messages on them; they're almost always condescending and guilt-elliciting. That's not helping the religion at all. It's so stupid. I can picture God facepalming each time.

      Thanks for your 2 cents.

      Delete
  8. im only 14, and i dont know anything about religion, but i will just say that i think all people should be able to believe what they want and feel free to do so. its a free world, we need to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think parents just forget that. Fair enough they have to raise their kids how they see fit and according to what they think is right, but there comes a time when that kid isn't a kid any longer and they're old enough to think for themself. Some parents don't know when that time is.

      Guess I'll have to go with it for a bit longer.

      Cheers for the comment.

      Delete
  9. This was a really good post. I don't think you're a bad person for not wanting to go to church. This is the same thing my parents are doing. Like I follow a different sect and they don't even want to hear my views. All they do is shoot out conjecture.

    Honestly, in the States, only the South is conservative. The rest do whatever the fudge they want.

    You should be allowed to choose your own religion. I'd have more respect for an agnostic who did their research rather than a Buddhist who follows their religion out of blind obedience.

    I wish I had some real advice to offer, but I can't since I'm in the same situation as you.

    Oh, and I'm glad you're back. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That'd be annoying as hell, not even being able to make your point heard. It's so close-minded of people when they just refuse to hear a differing opinion because they're so stuck into their own. And I don't mean your parents, I mean some people in general.

      I figured that about the South, but I still assumed that overall, America has more religious people, or at least a much larger percent of them regularly attend services.

      Anyone who follows someone or something blindly is just weak-minded, I think. They're just looking for someone to take the lead and they're not willing to think for themselves. It's almost pitiable.

      And don't worry, your advice was good, cheers for your input.

      And it's good to be 'back'. I love getting so much valuable input and feedback from you guys. It makes my day, especially when a lot of thought has been put into the comments like all the replies for this post.

      Delete
  10. You always have the choice, man. You're old enough!

    Everyone in my family was born Catholic also. That includes me, of course. When I was a kid I was pretty active with the church because it's the same case as you -- my parents always wanted us to go to church. When I was about 7 or 8 years old I went to church weekly with only my sister who was 10 because we liked the adventure of walking to the church just by ourselves. Haha.

    Anyway, the reason people nowadays have tried to stay away from religion is because of how "forced" it is. It is really forced. And now that going against the mainstream has become mainstream, everyone tries to rebel against religion and exploit its flaws. To me religion only becomes wrong when people use it to defend arguments and prove they're correct when they do not even practice the virtues of the religion properly.

    My parents gave me and my siblings the Catholic religion but now that we're old enough, we're pretty sure we can make decisions of our own already. I'm lucky that my mom doesn't tell us to go to church anymore. My sister has joined a different form of Christianity (because Catholicism had a lot of flaws, apparently) while I choose to not just practice any religion, but that doesn't mean I've lost faith in God. Maybe I've lost faith in humanity and what we've made of religion. Maybe not. My sister goes to church every Sunday and my mom makes a comment every now and then that I should go with her, but I always say, "No I don't want to," and it's alright with her.

    I believe it should be okay with everyone, too. I think you should make your own decision about what you want to do. Do you want to stay with Catholicism? Do you want to discover a purer, more "correct" denomination of Christianity? It is a matter of perception and you should have your vision of what you want your life to be in the future, and it shall help you make your decision. Religion is not a universal law. It is a choice a person makes in his life.

    Phew. Sorry for the long comment. I really liked this post. =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have the choice, seeing as I'm more than old enough, but my parents don't seem to see it that way.

      I can see people having a negative view of religion, it keeps being brought into arguements and areas that it shouldn't be. It's used by idiots to defend or make a point, and that doesn't help the religion in question; it does the opposite. I hate when religion is brought into politics. The two are completely different things and should stay that way. The whole religion scene has been tarred because people bring it into places it shouldn't be brought in to.

      You're lucky that you've got parents who are as open and understanding as yours in this aspect. I'm like you as well, in that I have in no way lost my faith, I'm just feeling that I have no say in how I myself choose to approach and 'use' it (if that's even the right term). I've got nothing against the denomination of religion I follow, I just don't like being forced to go every week. There's a difference between being dragged to something and going of your own accord.

      And don't apologise for the comment length, I like comments that are insightful and well thought out, as yours clearly was. Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate your advice.

      Delete
  11. I'm not religious and the friend I have that is is beginning to doubt everything. It's rather exciting really.


    /Avy

    http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete