Sunday, March 18, 2012

I Close My Eyes


There's something that's been on the back-burner of my mind for quite some time, but I've never really broached it for fear of persecution by the general public. But I feel that the time has come to get a feel for public consensus, as I reckon I can't be the only one thinking like this.

So, today's topic:


I can't say it any better than that.

Men - what the f*ck happened?



It's been a slow descent, but damn, it's one hell of a descent. The changes have been evident for a while, but a line has to be drawn somewhere. Pretty much everywhere you look now where men are portrayed -  in the media, fashion things (not that I'm looking...), advertisements, etc - in a much more feminine, 'soft' way.

And I think it's just a bit shit.

I'm in no way on the fringes of fashion (I dress pretty averagely) and have a pretty bung eye on the subject, but even I can tell that men are looking less and less like, well, like men. They're wearing skinny-jeans, disgracefully low v-necks, sporting emo-fringes and wearing fluro colours. That picture up there pretty much captures all that I'm trying to say. When did guys find it cool to dress like that? They look like flat-out douches and are in no way masculine. I mean the guy in the pink looks like he's wearing more product than a high-class callgirl. And is that a fake tan he's rocking? What the hell, man.

I've never been one to bend just to fit in. I can't see myself ever dressing like that when I'm out on the town. And I think that that's where that trend kind of started; bending to the will of some kind of fashion god or scene. I can't even imagine being comfortable wearing some of that crap; I hate v-necks, wearing shirts that are three sizes too small, and how the hell do they wear skinny jeans? I mean seriously, how do the boys breathe down there? Have they been removed? Because that would actually explain a lot.

I follow some ladies blogs that err on the fashion tip side of things from time to time, and every now and then they post about guys' fashion and show all these male models dressed up - and they're wearing stuff that looks effeminate. How does that fly? Is that how it started? Women thought it looked good? Really? Because I don't see it at all. It looks absolutely terrible and makes me feel pretty down, even. Because seriously, what kind of dude would want to wear things like that? I would never want to dress like that to impress a girl and I honestly can't see how it would impress a girl, because let's face it, you'd look like a girl wearing it. And unless she's at least bi-curious, you're shit-outta luck. I literally cannot envisage being comfortable in that sort of apparel. Guys wearing stuff that would not look out of place on a girl. What is happening.

Case in freaking point


And that brings me to a vital question; do most girls out there think that this look is good? Do you ladies like it when guys dress like that, wearing tighter jeans than what you've got on? I don't get it. I always thought a man should dress like one. I thought ladies were attracted to manly men, in general, anyway.

So yes, big question - do you ladies like the way guys are portrayed and are dressing these days? I sure don't. And guys out there, what are your thoughts? And I hope that there's more than a few ladies who share my viewpoint - or else I'm screwed. I cannot pull off skinny jeans.

And I don't want to.

I hope I haven't come off as too chauvinistic or anti-metro (though I guess I am anti-metro in the fashion world to an extent) in this post, but it is something that gets to me, and has irked me for a while. It really is disheartening to see guys watered down to this, to me, pitiable state, where they're dressing in such an effeminate way just to stand out and look 'good'. But whatever. I started this blog to get my feelings across, and that's what I'm doing. I'm not right or politically correct all the time I guess.

I Close My Eyes
Hard-Fi
Once Upon a Time in the West, 2007

32 comments:

  1. Real men don't wear skinny jeans.

    That sums it up for what I think of male clothing. Heck, I think the same for women clothing!

    Meh, I have a standard policy of grab-whatever's-clean. And big big big thankyou to the kiwi's I live with- because in good ole' New Zealand, fashion isn't really followed as much as it is in other countries. Sure you have the people who are wanting to bring the 80's back, but it's nothing too...lady gaga.

    Okay, not creepin on you either. I just saw this in my RSS feed. That's all- NOT. Anyway too long for a comment, but in reponse to your comment on my blog- I felt like I had to reply personally on here. (what a nerd, I know). Anywhoo, YES. SINGLELIFE FOR THE WIN. Even though it may seem hard at times, I wouldn't change a thing about it. Except the temporary changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the statement 'Real men don't wear skinny jeans' should be made into a Commandment or inserted into each country's penal code. It's only logical.

      I guess it's the same here in Australia, though probably not to the extent that it is in NZ. Not everyone hear follows the latest US or whatever trends, but there's always those idiotic few who try to 'pioneer' a trend over here that went out of style two weeks ago stateside. I almost pity them, but prefer to snicker at their orange-ness from spray-on tans instead.

      And yeaaahhhhh for the single life. It's to be reppin' it when I see someone in the doghouse. or getting whipped by their significant other. It is satisfying indeed.

      Delete
    2. Trollin around and found this.

      AUSSIE? No way! Greetings from the other side of the same water yo.

      Delete
  2. HI, YOU'RE ALIVE.

    I don't like skinny jeans on guys. But I also don't think that men have to be masculine all the time. I happen to find men who dress effeminately unattractive, but I know a lot of girls (most of them straight) who like that look. (For the record, I'm bisexual and still don't like that.)

    That being said, what IS the cheesecake paradox? I should probably go to the about tab. I'll do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YO. Yes I am alive, contrary to Wikipedia and The Onion.

      Amen sister. I don't think guys should be masculine ALL the time either, but I do draw the line at dressing all metro and feminine. That's going a few steps too far. And I know some girls like that look (good God, WHY?), but luckily for me, most of the ones who do aren't my type. Funny how that works out.

      Why is my blog called what it is? The 'About' tab explains it all *wink*.

      Delete
  3. AMEN SIR!

    Case and point why I don't date anyone from my school! They're either major slobs, or they spend more time getting ready than I do.

    Honestly, I think any girl who finds effeminate men attractive has issues. But that might just be because I'm more of a beard/scruff/suit/sweater/traditional kind of girl. In fact, I have an entire board on Pinterest dedicated to such manliness: http://pinterest.com/lizzidee/turtles/

    Skinny jeans on men ought to be outlawed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The polar extreme ay; total slob, or metro-douche. Tough times.

      And good to see there's still women out there who still go for the now sadly 'oldschool' blokey, masculine look of guys. Good to see indeed. Makes me regain some hope that was lost in the face of idiotic fashion 'trends'. Gits.

      Delete
  4. Skinny jeans on guys are just not right. But, if one side effect is that they have their balls squeezed so tight that they cannot reproduce, then I'm all for it! Less skinny jean wearing douche faces in the world.

    I like guys who wear normal clothing. Like straight leg jeans look skinny, but they aren't effeminate. They look normal. I'm a hoodie, concert tee, and jeans on a guy kind of girl. Oh, and Converse. Any guy who wears converse gets automatic ins with me because I love Converse. I know, weird article of clothing to love, but hey. To each their own, no?

    I appreciate you bringing this issue to the forefront Ash. This is important and needs to be dealt with. Lets drown them all in fake tanner, yeah?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe skinny jeans are part of naturl selection? By the males (where 'males' is used extremely lightly) wearing such tight apparel that their family jewels are rendered useless, they cannot reproduce? Well played, Mother Nature. So very well played.

      I'm all for drowning them in fake tan. It's for their own good, yes? Yes. Let's do it.

      And also, I wear Converse :O. That means I'd totally be allowed into your house to eat strawberry jam on toast, right?

      ...Right?

      Delete
  5. It's about time someone brought this issue to light. I used to have a friend that would say she adored guys who wore skinny jeans. I distinctly remember her saying: "the tighter, the better". She was emo, though.

    To be honest, I'm not exactly sure what style I like to see in the opposite sex, except that I don't like them wearing jeans that are so tight they make 'em waddle like ducks. There's the opposite end of the spectrum that annoys me just as much, though: guys who dress like bums and gangsters, which is what the majority of the guys around me look like. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle, then. I hate skinny jeans, but appreciate fitted (as in not too tight, not too baggy) jeans on guys, a nice shirt, you know. Blah, I don't know. I'm the worst person to give my opinion on this, because I'm completely ignorant to style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh, emos. The distant ancestor and forerunner to the 'rube'. Sometimes evolution just sucks.

      Gangsters are just as bad, but they mke me laugh as opposed to wanting to bust out a 12-gauge and clean house. Gangsters are just so try-hard that it's legitimately funny. Bless them.

      Delete
  6. I like guys who wear skinny jeans. But I think it only looks good on teenagers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be able to tolerate them if that were the case, but sadly it isn't always so...

      Delete
  7. Nice pictures hahaha. :P

    Okay...don't kill me but I really dig the hipster/scene look. Honestly, there's not a large gap between women and men clothing anymore. I think this all came about due to the whole "we're all equal" thing. I guess it got interpreted a little too literally. And the counterculture is more intriguing than mainstream ideas, so you could blame it on that too.

    But don't worry; it'll change over time. Fashion comes and goes. If it makes you any happier, a lot of guys in my school are starting to dress all prim and manly and one of them even talked wearing suspenders to school.

    If you're worried about driving chicks away, don't sweat bruh. Models and actors are just there for entertainment. I'm sure a lot of girls will find you attractive regardless of the way you dress. They don't care about what you wear as long as you can pull it off. So don't even think of putting on a v-neck or some dollar-sign bling if you're uncomfortable in it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Naw, that stuff looks ridiculous. Although I think it looks equally silly on chicks. As long as people are clean and groomed, that's fine by me!

    Effeminate guys can be cute, but cute is where it stops; I suppose it is a different appeal from that of a "manlier" man.

    Never was able to weasel into skinny jeans. Just. Nope. And old-time hat fashions were definitely superior.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree. Skinny jeans is an *ew, ew and ewwwwww*. If my date had to rock up in skinny jeans I'd run away.

    That picture of the man in the maroon shirt is very scary indeed. I used to have an english teacher that showed up at school on the first day with a Louis Voutin bag *covers eyes*...

    I don't think men should straighten their hair or use gel to style it in any weird and wonderful ways. It should be just a little spikey or something.

    Tay
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. men in skinny jeans are gay !!!!

    Follow each other blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh god. men in skinny jeans -cringe-
    great post, great blog, basically great everything. *follows*
    check out mine? follow back if your interested?
    f-a-i-r-y-l-i-g-h-t-s.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh man!
    even though i'm a girl i never into fashion and i do hate that women look in men. in indonesia, korean style is a big hit right now. and oh mon dieu! those korean boybands dress like girls!!! i hate that. they even wear women jewelery.

    in a non-related matter with this post, i see your band & movie list and boy! we have a lot in common in that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was watching some korean music vid the other day (don't ask...) and HOLY CRAP did it take me a while to work out what gender they were. I was trippin' balls.

      Delete
  13. ohmygosh, so true! what happened?! and yeah, that outfit is way too girly for a man to wear. :/

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/
    Fashion To Figure Giveaway: Win any item $30 or less
    Poshlocket Giveaway: Win a Shelly Fabric Choker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That mans genitals should be revoked, yeah? It's despicable.

      Delete
  14. AMEN to this post! I really enjoy your writing, and this post really got my attention.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, I'm just glad it's not only me who is thinking my thoughts on mens 'fashion'.

      Delete
  15. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    This made me LOL in my head. Not out loud. cos my sister thinks I'm weird enough for smiling like a freak and occasionally giggling(yes, i giggle) at the screen.

    I don't even know why I found this so funny.
    Those pictures. Just..

    I agree with you, and I don't agree with you.
    You should be able to wear whatever you want, but people seriously take that to an extreme.

    But then I think its like that time i painted my face (like facepainted type painted) with my friend's makeup and went around like that for a while before i was told to take it off. It wasn't to be attractive. I just felt like.
    Maybe it's a means of self expression for them or something equally deep.

    Orr it must attract SOME kind of women. or they're gay.

    They don't do it for no reason at all. Live and let live, bro.

    But have you read the hunger games? The pictures kinda remind me of the fashion that they talk of in the Capitol. It makes me cringe to think that one day the entire world will be dressing that way. it is inevitable.
    The live and let live thing will not apply when everyone starts dying their skin and getting weird tattoos in weird places as a requirement to be fashionable.


    Oh and I love your taste in music. Of the bands that I know of out of the list on the right hand side of this page, I love most and like some. Thank you for the unintentional recommendations. I just heard The Sundance Kids. they're pretty awesome. :D

    This up and down scolling thing in this box tells me i've written a lot. I don't even remember what i've written. forgive me if it doesn't make sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeahhh I guess I did/do think about it too much, but it's just been bugging me for so long, you know? I just snapped.

      'Live and let live'... too true, but I feel the image of men has been dragged through the mud by metros for too long. It's time to get our rep back, damnit.

      We shall regain ur pride. One skinny-jean wearing rube at a time.

      Delete
  16. ps: If you haven't read the hunger games, you should read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never even heard of it until the movie popped up. I had no idea what all the hype was about. I might have to read it, yeah.

      Delete
  17. Hi, there! Hopped on here via Tabs.

    This post made so much sense and you had me going "exactly. exactly. EXACTLY!" in my head every four lines. It's sick, what with the skinny jeans and rapist-preached-low waist pants. And the V necks make me want to not eat for a while :|

    Seriously, WHAT happened to men? The kind who had broad shoulders and made them women melt with crisp white shirts and well worn pants? Where's the chivalry gone? Cause the photos of the men you put up are too fragile to even spell 'chivalry'.

    Sigh. With this gruesome trend, there is no hope for the male homo sapiens out there in the world.
    And there definitely ain't any hope for us ladies who're just going to read about the myths of real men.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cheers fir the swing by. Glad your first impression of this blog was a positive one.

    I only hope men are redeemed, and in my lifetime. The 'trend' of metrosexuality has spread too wide and has gone on for too long. We've lost face. And even respect. It's disgusting.

    I hope men regain face in the eyes of sensible women such as yourself.

    Or maybe not - then guys like myself have better odds by not looking like weak douchebags. Huh. Never thought of that...

    ReplyDelete