Sunday, July 10, 2011

You won't know your worth now, son, until you take a hit

I want to get into a fight.

Sound stupid? It is. I agree with that, completely. But it's true.

Well, sort of anyway. I would never start a fight, but I still kind of want to be in one. Now most of you have probably been able to tell that I'm a pretty peaceful guy, more of a lover than a fighter (cue ladies swooning) but that isn't to say there's some hot-bloodedness in my veins. It's just kept well in check. Now before all of you start voicing vociferous comments about me lying by coming off as a goodie-two-shoes in my blog, allow me to explain further.





Like I said, I would never start a fight. Well maybe 'never' is too strong a word, but I certainly don't walk around pushing rubes and emo kids to try and start a good ole fashioned brouhaha, I'd like to think I would get involved if some douchebag was having a go at a mate of mine or some such situation where just standing idly by wouldn't cut it. This is going to sound stupid to you guys, I knew this coming in, trust me, but this post title essentially sums up what I'm trying to say; that until I get into some sort of fight, I won't know my 'worth'.

Again, yes, I am fully aware of how idiotic that might sound, but to me, it's important. It means something. It means I can stand by my convictions and beliefs, it means I'm willing to walk the walk as well as talk the talk. Talk is cheap. And until I can prove, mostly to myself, that I can take a stand, I'll always be left wondering whether I'm just a big talker with no game.

Now I don't know if this is just a 'guy thing' or a 'me' thing, but it's honestly how I feel. I've said before in posts how I wouldn't stand by (I think so anyway) while some douche abuses a girl or something like that, and how I wouldn't stand at the sidelines while a friend is in the sh*t. I just want to know for sure that I mean what I've said. I want to prove to myself that I stick to my guns.

I'm hoping that isn't something to do with me trying to be macho or anything, if anything, it's just the opposite. Like I said before, I don't walk around with a mentality where I go looking for fights and provoking people; if anything, I'm the guy in my little band of rebels that is the most level headed. I can safely say that I'm the most responsible guy in the group. But that doesn't mean I'd run away from a fight, and I guess that is the point I'd like to prove. That I'm not a coward. That would mean a lot to me, if I could prove that to myself. I've said before in a post ages ago that I hate cowardice and hypocrisy. So me being able to prove I'm not a wuss would serve the dual purpose of proving that I'm not a hypocrite (in this regard anyway).

One person also left a comment on the blog I wrote about what I think it means to be a man, and their comment was brief, but effective. Their comment was a quote by Mae West, and it said; "A man can be short and dumpy and getting bald but if he has fire, women will like him". That got to me. And I guess that's another point as well. It's a fairly old, antiquated (and even boorish) viewpoint, but showing a woman that you can stand up to flak and dish out a beatdown when necessary is something I still find relevant. Shows them you're not a wuss and gets a little fire going *wink wink nudge nudge*.

Let me just say again, that yes, I know full well just how eggheaded this post may sound to a lot of you, especially the ladies out there. I just hope I've managed to get across the fact that I'm still the same guy as before, the lover more so than the fighter, but I would rather prefer to be known as the lovable fighter (wink). I also hope that I've gotten across the fact that I'm not just some stringy little pasty boy; I've got the capacity to stand up for myself and stick up for my word, and that when the time comes, I hope I'm able to show it.

Sound off.


Satellite
Rise Against
Endgame, 2011

8 comments:

  1. I get what you're saying. Even though I'm a girl, I feel the same way about having to prove myself so people don't walk all over me. It's a good thing to be a lover instead of a fighter-unless the situation calls for it. Being TOO nice can result in people taking advantage of you or picking on you constantly. It's not a bad thing to stand up for yourself or to stand up for others when they need your help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly believe being able to kick someone's ass is more impressive than actually having kicked someone's ass. I have some experience with fighter types wanting to stand up for me even if the bad guy merely said something. And in my opinion, the actual fight is no fun: it's dirty, bloody and often causes more problems than it fixes. So I don't recommend it.

    Master a martial art and subtly make sure everyone knows it. That will help you have no doubt you can handle things.

    But, all this doesn't apply if you get punched in the face. I mean, yes of course once it's started you have to finish it and win it. But don't get into it otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think what you're saying makes complete and total sense. Since I'm kind of a small girl, a physical fight would probably leave me in a coma, but there have been times where I've taken a stand, especially when I've seen someone get bullied. I'm quick with words, but know that I would get my ass kicked in two seconds if anything ever escalated (and my quick wit couldn't save me).
    In my last relationship, there were a lot of times when I really wished that my ex would have had my back -- his friends made comments about me or my family and he stayed silent, while they called me a slut or whatever -- I so wish that he had the backbone to at least verbally let them know that wasn't okay. It's nice to know that there are guys out there who are willing to stick up for what they believe - and that they aren't doing it simply to show that they're super masculine, but because they actually care.
    I adore your blog, my dear, and appreciate your honesty so very much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, I totally hate guys who walk around pushing and shoving people so that they can get in a fight and impress girls. I mean what's so impressive about that? Usually those kind of guys end up abusing you. If a dude can walk away from a fight, then in my opinion that dude is more macho than the dude starting the fight.
    Your blog is SUPER awesome. And extremely funny. you would make a good comedian like Jeff Dunham, or Lewis Black. Search them up on youtube. Trust me when I say it's worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post can't possibly sound stupid to any respectable male out there who has read or seen Fight Club. I consider it essential to my manhood to get in a fight by the time I hit 25. I could even be the one to start it. Who knows? I just want it to be over something important. Like a parking spot. Or justice. Or something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WHAT THE HECK. YOU POSTED SO MUCH AND I HAVEN'T BEEN GETTING UPDATES. WHA...WHA...THIS IS NOT FAIR.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knoooooooooow, it's so shat. I was wondering where all my peeps and homie-g's had gone, but I've recently realised that changing your blog's URL seems to make Blogger believe the entire blog is deleted. Fail of failtastic proportions.

    Anyway, believe me when I say it's good to see you back :P.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hee hee. That makes me feel special. =D

    ReplyDelete