Anyway, yesterday was a pretty good day, I spent the majority of it at the cricket, Australia vs England, game 5 of the Commonwealth series. I'm not a cricket fan, or even a sports fan at all (shock and awe), but I just went because I haven't done anything with my mates in a while, and what the hell, it could be fun. And it was. Plus, and this is another reason I wanted to go, it gave me a chance to take some pics of the game. My zoom wasn't powerful enough to take newpaperish style shots, but it still did a good job and I was satisfied with what I came away with.
| Michael Clarke caught a few runs after he made his 50 |
| Collingwood busts out the walking frame for the crowds enjoyment |
| Some random old guy |
| I was lucky with this shot, perfect timing :P |
![]() |
| An 'artsy' photo I took, with some post-processing |
I took a lot more obviously, but these are the highlights I guess. That runout shot was pure luck, but I'll take it *wink*. Some random stuff happens at those games, but I guess it's the norm and I just have no idea. This was the first cricket game I've been to after all, for over a decade. I enjoyed it as well. Australia won, by the way. I don't really care about that though. As I said, I'm not a huge sports fan so I really don't care, my mates did though (both Aussies). So yeah, if I had to pick a side whom I would have liked to win it was probably going to be Australia anyway.
Now, onto a 'serious' matter... I'm thinking of getting a tattoo (more shock and awe).
I've always (up until last year anyway) thought of tattoos as an egghead's choice, and I used to always kind of scorn them. Last year or so though, I started to consider getting one. Not just some random tribal tat or something I thought would look badass, but something that actually had some significance. Something that meant something, symbolised me or personified me in a way. And then when my cousin got one mid last year, it made me really want to get one. My parents of course are against it. But when I challenged my mum as to why exactly they were against it, she said exactly what I knew she'd say; "...because". She had no reason, she just personally didn't like the idea of it. She's just stuck in a mindset that all tattoos are stupid. She seems to have the same 'reason' for a lot of things, which is just damn stupid. And what the hell, it's my life, it's my call to make. That's not to say I'm getting this just to piss off my parents. This is all for me.
I've liked the idea of getting symmetrical tats, one on each upper arm/outer shoulder. My original idea was for two Chinese symbols, one for honour and the other for truth. But after some thought, I think everyone gets Chinese symbols, so it's a bit overdone. After some pondering, I remembered that the wolf is my favourite animal, and it symbolises a lot of traits that I like and would like to associate myself with; intelligence, cunning, loyalty, opposed to/fight against injustice, symbolises victory, often misunderstood by society. Those are some of the more common cultural symbols attributed to the wolf, and then there's some that I personally attribute to them; they can be man's best friend or man's worst enemy, the symbolise honour, they can be pack animals or lone-wolves (pardon the pun), they're dark and mysterious, and they're just darn well awesome. So yes, I've decided to definitely go with a wolf tattoo. And I've narrowed it down to this, with it being my number one choice so far:
![]() |
| Ohhhhh yeaaaaahhh |
That one would go on my left outer shoulder.
I also found a 'universal' symbol for truth that I was interested in when I got over the idea of getting a Chinese symbol:
It is symmetrical in the sense that wolves embody (to me anyway) honour, so it would still be symmetrical like I originally wanted. Can anyone verify this symbols meaning by the way? I just searched Google images, and contrary to popular belief, the internet does lie sometimes. And I don't want the tat to get done only to walk out and find shortly afterwards that it's actually a symbol for herpes or something.
And I should say that, I don't intend on flaunting or parading my tattoos, if (hopefully when) I get them. Nor will I try to hide them. They'd just be something I did for myself, a personal thing. Yet something I wouldn't be ashamed of revealing when the time came, to my family or friends. Just felt I had to write that.
So... what do you guys think? About these particular designs and/or about tattoos in general.
Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)
The Offspring
Americana, 1998


Tattoos are awesome! When I was younger I used to think that they were disgusting and once you got them you could never get rid of them. But now I think that if you get a small one that really means something to you, it's really cool.
ReplyDeleteGo for it!!
Go for the tattoo if you're going to get something small that means something to you. Otherwise there's the risk of possible regret at a alter date, which is never good.
ReplyDeleteMay I suggest, "Ross is God" tattooed across your forehead?
I've never been a fan of the idea of a tattoo. It's something that's going to stick with you for a lifetime. Do you want a tattoo of a fire-breathing dragon on your chest and two naked women on your shoulders when you're sixty-seven with a wife and children?
ReplyDeleteIf you do get a tattoo, I like the second one more. With symbols, especially foreign ones, it makes you seem mysterious.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JyPU_mgqFs
Cheers peeps.
ReplyDeleteAnd Chris, what you're saying is probably exactly what my parents are 'fearing'... that I'll get some random, giant wannabe-badass tattoo that means nothing. And fair enough, I can see why they wouldn't want that - but hey, I wouldn't want that either. As long as it's symbolic and meaningful to me, I don't think I'll regret it. And It's a tattoo, it's essentially 'for life', and I've thought a LOT about it, trust me. And the wolf tattoo won't be huge, it'll be relatively smallish, I'm hoping my sleeves will cover the vast majority of it.
Cheers again guys, for your input.