Wednesday, February 2, 2011

When it Rains it Pours

The state that I live in is getting the shit kicked out of it these days. Just over one month into 2011, and it's been flooded like hell for the worst time in 50 odd years, and now there's a cyclone of biblical proportions bearing down on it. Don't believe me?

Oh my, cyclone Yasi, what big - - gale force winds and torrential rains you have



Just to clarify, we aren't getting hit by three at once, that's a comparison shot showing Yasi (the big-bertha on the right) compared to the last two cyclones that decided to come door knocking. So yeah he/she (what kind of a name is 'Yasi', anyway? Is it male or female?) is rather large. The worst cyclone in living memory I think, category 5 (the worst) and apparently credible sources like the Bureau of Meteorology and the Prime Minister are saying things like " This cyclone poses a far more serious threat to life than any experienced in recent generations," and "Australia hasn't seen anything like Yasi,". So yeah, I think Queensland should change its tourist slogan. It's always been 'Queensland, the sunshine state', but there's such a thing as false advertising. Foreigners deserve some kind of warning at least.

I should take the time now to say that I am not personally in the firing line of this particular doombringer, so I won't feel the full effects of it, which is just as good. My city is still recovering from the floods that hit us roughly two weeks ago. We'll still feel some strong winds I guess, but we're in no direct danger, unlike a lot of the poor sods in Cairns (where a lot of my friends still live :(... ) so I should be right.

I mean I know my state was complaining about a drought before, but come on... whoever it is out there, you can stop doing your damn rain-dances... they've worked. And like hell.

Historia Calamitatum
Rise Against
Appeal to Reason, 2008

6 comments:

  1. Up in the northeast US we're getting BOMBARDED with snow. It's like mother nature's having a seizure or something, all this weird weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's crazy.
    It's been 70-80 degrees here in California for the past month (which is high for January's normal 50-60 degrees) except for the last couple days which have been cold and rainy. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy crap, that's insane. The hippies were right, global warming is the real deal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sucks.
    There was the BIG snowstorm here which is probably still going on, but I haven't left my house for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh.
    You Aussies are just getting so much hate from the weather lately. Hope it all calms down soon!

    Oh, and in response to your comment: That really is one of the more heartwarming images/stories out there. A similar thing happened in early January when the Muslim community in Egypt attended the Christian Christmas services (Christmas is Jan. 7th for the Copts and Orthodox) to act as human shields against bomb threats that had been received.
    I'm just in awe of the wonderful cooperation. People the world over need to take after these acts of selflessness and acceptance. It's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really is. I wonder why things like that aren't brought to light by the media more often and in louder voice. I'm pretty sure both of these events weren't broadcast in Australia or at least where I live, and if they were, it was done fairly under the radar.

    ReplyDelete