Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Game is Cool to See, You Can High-Five on TV

Another almost-week between posts. I want to write something (I promise), I just find it hard to get what I want across, and I want to give my content justice. How else will the Empire be stopped? *cough* Sorry, nerded out for a second there. But yes, there is something I'd like to get out of the way that's being pissing me off royally for quite some time now. I'll have a crack at getting it off my chest here and now. It shouldn't be too hard... I've been bench-pressing lately - ladies *shifty wink*. I haven't, really. But it doesn't hurt if you think I do. Now, onto topic:

Sports.





Sports pisses me off bigtime. Or, more accurately, how much sports people get paid for doing what they do, which to me, is something that means absolutely %$&# all. All 'professional' sports is, let's face it, is a game. Just that. A game. It's not to be taken seriously. It has no bearing, no consequence, on the real world. It's just for entertainment (allegedly, I can't really see how in most cases, sorry) purposes. So why then, if it's just a damn game, do sports people get paid so damn much? They're not doing anything important. Meanwhile, other people out there, people with real jobs damnit, are saving lives, putting their own lives on the line for the good of others, and these people who are actually contributing to society, are getting paid %$&# all compared to these adult-children who run around in short-shorts kicking a damn rubber sack filled with air. What the hell kind of society do we live in?

I don't begrudge people who play sports for a living (I think, anyway), I mean good on them for finding a - career, ugh - which involves doing something recreational. Good on them for not having to 'work' a day in their lives to make a damn-fine living. How does that saying go? "Get a job you like and you'll never work a day in your life." Good on them for that. What annoys me no end is how much they actually get paid for doing this. A lot of these people are getting millions thrown at them just to kick a damn ball around on some grass and hopefully kick it between some posts or something. Why? Why do they get paid so much to do this? Does no one else out there realise how ridiculously stupid this is? There are no words to express how deeply I resent this. This world has so many problems, problems that could be greatly aided by, sadly, money. And what does society do? It throws money that could be used helping third world countries, hell, it could be spent helping their own damn countries, it throws money at getting some egghead to 'come and play on my team please, the weather is much nicer down here, promise'.

Again, I don't hate sports, or the fact that it exists 'professionally'. It gives people something to look forward to when they get back from work, it brings people together (sometimes), it reminds us that life isn't always about working 9-5 for five days every week. So in that sense, yes, I like it. Or can stand to bear it, anyway. I'm glad it's there. It can be good to unwind just watching a game of something, though admittedly not for me, I find pretty much all sports boring and tedious. But again, that's just me. I am awesome.

*Quick sidenote here; I find it hilarious when I see people at sports grounds yelling crap out to the players. Things like "No! Kick it to him, he's open!" Just so you know mate, he can't hear you. At all. I find it damn hilarious how people get so worked up about it, constantly yelling crap out to the players thinking it will make the slightest difference. Other gold is when I see some fat guy missing half his teeth and who also most likely has dangerously high blood-sugar levels declaring that they should be on the team and that they could play better. Sorry to break it to you sunshine, but I'm pretty sure you'd pull a hamstring just getting out of that chair slightly more rapidly than normal. So no. Shut the hell up and drink your beer in silence. I also love seeing how defeated people get when their team loses. They blame the team, the team member's mothers, the coaches, absolutely anyone. And whoa, when the team wins, what do these same people say? "We won! We bloody won!" Again mate, no you didn't. You sat on your obese arse eating nachos yelling stuff to players who can't even hear you. Sorry, but you had absolutely nothing to do with that team's victory.

Anyway, back on point. I don't hate sports itself, just how much money is thrown at these people for doing something that has absolutely no importance, consequence, or bearing in reality, in society. In life. It's a game, damnit. Just that - a game. Hope I did this rant post justice. Just my two cents as well, not everyone will agree with me... obviously. But then again, most of these people will never read this, because someone, somewhere, just scored a goal of some sort, yay. And kudos to you, person, for doing that. You've changed a life. Git.

One Fine Day
The Offspring
Conspiracy of One, 2000

5 comments:

  1. I completely agree! They don't deserve THAT much money...but I guess you can view it in other terms and say that they are basically celebrities, so they should earn this much. Oh well.

    Whoops! I am definitely one of those yelling people! :D haha I just get really into it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahah fair enough, I just think it's funny, that's all. I just don't get it because I'm personally not a sports fan. But then again, I guess when I'm watching tv, movies and playing video games I yell stuff at the screen sometimes and that's even worse... to each their own :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! Someone in this messed up world has a brain! My blood boils every time I see a professional sports player surrounded by girls, throwing his money to the crowds. They have no idea what the real world is like. It's almost sad...but mainly annoying.

    :)

    And, like Hannah Marie, I'm one of those yelling people. But in a different way. I yell, "YOU SUCK!" to the team I don't like.

    XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOD THIS IS SO TRUE!!! I'm not necessarily suggesting we do, but if we totally abolished professional football, all the money which usually went to paying the athletes could feed the entire world population. It's so sad.

    Ladies seem to like it when men bench-press. Is it weird that I think it's hot when ladies bench-press?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed! If that much funding went to worthwhile things like authors or the arts (it would sicken you if I told you how much money is spent to train a ballerina, but how little one makes in the course of her career.) this would be a much better world.

    ReplyDelete