It's about time I made a new blog entry. This one isn't anything of any real substance or insight I guess, but it's something that's been on my mind a lot.
I am a sucker for a good album cover. I love it when a band takes the time to truly think about how they want their new record to be seen by the public. I love it when they put a lot of thought into just what exactly the cover of their latest album will look like. I also really love the cover/booklet things when bands take the time to make them a piece of art, by having them done in really interesting, eye-catching ways. My favourite album cover would have to be The Sufferer and the Witness by Rise Against.
For some reason, this album art really hits me. I don’t know whether it’s because of its at-first seemingly-stripped-back–and-bare nature, or because I can never really make out exactly what’s on the cover. If you look carefully, you can almost see the vague profiles and outlines of faces where the two circles almost meet. Whatever the reason, it is truly a great piece of cover art. Here’s some other covers I really like (in no particular order);
All (to me anyway) fairly good examples of good, creative, eye-catching album art. The best cover/booklet that I’ve seen would have to be the one included in The Offspring album, Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace. I can’t find a pic on the web sorry, but trust me, it’s good.
On the flipside though, are terrible album covers. I mean ones that are laughably, ludicrously bad. The ones that always pop into my head when this is brought up seem to be ones in the heavy metal/hardcore/death metal genre bands. I mean some of them are notoriously bad. Don’t believe me?
![]() |
| Seriously... WTF |
![]() |
| No. Just - just no. |
Bet you do now. I honestly can’t see or imagine what their thought process was here for covers like this. Well I lie, I can imagine;
Dude 1: “Hey… how can we seem hardcore and like… dangerous?”
Dude 2: “Skeletons… and…FIRE.”
Dude 1: “No way man – that is so awesome.”
Dude 2: “Add more skeletons and fire.”
Dude 1: "Nice, nice... now help me open this pack of crayons and we'll get started."
These – ‘designs’ if you can go that far – are just shamefully bad. In no way do they seem to give off the vibe or impact that I think those bands were going for. To me, it just seems like the very definition of a try-hard effort. A child could have come up with these designs, seriously. These are to me in no way works of art or indeed anything of substance or worth. These bands just seemed to have gone a fair few steps too far in the attempt to make themselves and their album seem more dark and dangerous, but failed dismally in the attempt. They just make me laugh. Quite hard. Don't even get me started on the band and album names...
Anyway, just thought I'd share that. Enjoy your day.
Black Stone Cherry
Folklore and Superstition, 2008









Hee hee! The crayons bit was funny.
ReplyDeleteYes! I feel the exact same way with mysterious album covers. I love them!
And I also love your taste in music! I mean come on. Coldplay? Rise Against? What – you been stealing my playlist or something? Lol jk XD
The video for Prayer of The Refugee? SO AMAZING. And the vid for Hero of War? So sad...:(. But it's still amazing!
I love those album covers! I'm absolutely obsessed with Coldplay, I love all f their work. And onerepublic. good choices.
ReplyDeleteand my fav song from switchfoot is meant to live, and in pieces frm minutes to midnight.
good choices! :D
I love the Muse one the best. It's just a really great piece of artwork.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you, people do judge books by covers and music by album covers.
When I was younger I loved leafing through them and reading all the tiny lyrics.
The good album covers are fantastic and the ludicrously bad album cover are ludicrously bad. My favourite album cover is one by the Beastie Boys where a giant mutant hamster is rampaging over New York City.
ReplyDeleteThis post was hilarious, man.