That was a frank start to a post, but there it is. I don't think life has a meaning to it, a reason. I think it's just there, and it's for us to make the most of it. I don't believe in destiny, or in fate. I don't think things come to you if you just sit there waiting for it. I think you have to make things happen.
If I had to say what my personal thought as to the meaning of life was, I would laugh and say 'my meaning of life is to live it'. Life is exactly what we make of it. We decide our 'fates', we decide our 'destiny'. I don't believe that there is a pre-set path for each of us, a 'destiny' that we are - well, destined - to fulfill. William Ernest Henley sums it up best. Here's my favourite (probably the most iconic segment, I'd be very surprised if you hadn't heard it) part from the poem Invictus;
"I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul."
I am the captain of my soul."
That can be a bit daunting for some I guess, when I say that there is no destiny or fate, that we are responsible entirely for our lives, that there is no predefined path that we all walk.
But to be honest, I find it liberating.
I like the fact that I, and I alone, am in charge of what happens in my life. My life will be as good or bad as I make it. It's up to me to do and be all that I can. I have to go out there and make it happen. Nothing will just come to me if I wait for it. I and I alone am responsible for my life, I don't walk on an unseen, fixed path. I make my own.
I guess, sure, there are times in life when people just get lucky, and things just inexplicably fall into place for them, when things just come to them. But I still personally think life is just one long series of chaotic events that occur completely at random. And that of course means there's going to be good things that happen, just the same as there will be bad things happening. It's just that some people out there seem to have more of one aspect happen to them.
That's my opinion anyway. That our lives are ours and ours alone, and it is exactly what we make of it. Of course not everyone will agree, and that's good. It takes all sorts to make a world, diversity and differences of opinion are all for the better.
I'll leave you with another excerpt, from one of my favourite series of books, 'The Sword of Truth' by Terry Goodkind. This is the very last sentence in the very last book in the series;
"Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it."
Hope you’ve taken something away from this entry.
Bitter Sweet Symphony
The Verve
Urban Hymns, 1997
I completely agree, I don't really believe in anything like destiny, just that we're here to be here
ReplyDeleteThis is how I've felt for a long time. I think the best thing to do when you get to this situation is to accept things as they are, and make the best of it. That sounds corny and irritating, but it's really the best possible philosophy for life.
ReplyDeleteI like this post too--you were honest about your beliefs, but it was optimistic all the same.
Bitter Sweet Symphony is one of my favorite songs of all time.
Cheers.
ReplyDeleteI think Bitter Sweet Symphony should be everyone's favourite song haha.
I completely agree. My life is mine to control, and that makes me content.
ReplyDeleteBrilliant post.
Agreements all around!
ReplyDeleteI love the irony of how google (and the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy) says that the meaning of life is "42". Some people believe that it is some solid numeric answer with no complications, when in reality it's a matter of opinion.
Love this post. It's so Goddamned insightful. And I mean that in the very best way possible.
ReplyDeleteNice blog by the way.
:)