Sunday, May 22, 2011

Straggler's Moon

Sorry for the almost two week gap between posts guys, but I've been really pressed for time lately. Because of my two jobs (one full time, the other casual), this week I clocked in 65 hours of work... and that doesn't include the 10+ hours of drive time it took to get to one of my jobs. It does include however, the three midnight shifts I did. I ended up working three 14 hour days in a row, which means I had only 4 hours sleep on those same night, followed straight after the next morning by 1 hour drives to work. Needless to say, I'm pretty buggered.




But the money's not too bad I guess. I should be getting a fair bit this pay week *hyuck hyuck hyuck*. I'm kind of scared and impressed at the same time by the fact that I was never really 'exhausted'. I mean sure, I was tired, but I was never in real danger of falling asleep while at work. I was especially grateful I never came close to nodding off while driving, which was my biggest fear leading up to this past week. Falling asleep for even a second while doing 110km/h down a motorway wouldn't go down too well, recent studies have shown.

My sleeping patterns have always been weird and I've often wondered if I'm an insomniac. I used to always wake up at least once a night, every night. My average is twice a night, but once a night is the absolute minimum. This might seem annoying, and hey, I thought it was too, but now I'm so used to it it doesn't even faze me. And then I read this article on the website Cracked. If you guys have never been there, you have to visit this site. It is the bomb. Funny as hell articles that are damn insightful and interesting. Many, many hours I've wasted on that site when I should have been researching for assignments and exams. But screw that, this was more fun.

Anyway, the article stated the whole notion of uninterrupted 8 hour segments of sleep is actually pretty recent. Humans were meant to wake up once or twice a night. As the article states,

"Before someone who wasn't Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, people in areas with more than eight hours of darkness usually slept in segments: three to five hours of sleep, an hour of wakefulness and then another three to five hour nap. The hour or so of awake time was used for quiet reflection, sex, smoking and pretty much everything except staring at the wall terrified of insomnia. In fact, this small window of consciousness was renowned as the best time for boning, as the tranquility between the first and second sleep was known as being uniquely suited to getting up to mischief with the person lying bored beside you."

So there you have it, it's normal. Thank God. But like I said, it no longer bothers me. In fact, you could say I've come to prefer it. I can get up in the middle of the night, get some water or whatever, or, as has happened a few times, I even listen to my iPod. Good stuff.

Anyway, that's it for now. Again, sorry for the lengthy gap and also for this kind of short post. Hopefully I'll think of something interesting to read soon. And I'll also try to catch up on reading your posts.

Godspeed.

The Fratellis 
Here We Stand, 2008

14 comments:

  1. Cracked is now my new procrastination site, it's so interesting. Thank you, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gotta agree with Gabi. I read, "How God Is Handling The 2011 Rapture" and immediately became hooked.

    I thought I was insomniac, too. I can never go to sleep, even when I'm tired. I don't like it. How can you enjoy it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're not drop-down-dead exhausted then it probably means you're having fun at work. Or, are having fun on account of the routine of things or something. I find that I get tired only when I'm doing things I don't like to do/ don't want to do.

    I love Cracked.com and I hope to be awesome enough to send my own article some day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers LWaP :P... good to be blogging again. And I reckon you're right about the boredness thing, the midnight shifts were a good laugh at times so that must've been it.
    And I may have unintentionally corrupted young minds by introducing them to Cracked.com... I should have thought this through. Your grades may drop ladies. You have been warned...

    :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hurray for paydays. :D
    That study is interesting. I just figured out there's something wrong with me because I easily sleep. At the same time, I'm too excited to go to sleep. o_O I should try the iPod technique, but sadly I DON'T HAVE ONE. That's what happens after your conservative parents figure out that it has Internet on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is considered normal for adults to sleep 7 to 8 hours per night and the waking up in the middle of the sleep means that you wake up after a session of REM sleep. Which is also normal. This is considered a problem if you can't fall back to sleep or if this waking up makes you very tired and sleepy through the day. Which doesn't seem to be your case, so you are alright :)

    Thanks for the link, it seems very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the same problem, I wake up at least two or two times during the night, and I love Cracked, its awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I commented only because I wanted a slice of cheesecake. I love cheese. And cheesecake. And cheesecake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting post. Every two months or so, I have a week when I can't sleep at all. It's terrible, so I can kind of sympathize.

    And I'm totally going to check out Cracked.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found your blog through Eeshie's!

    And I don't wake up at all. Ever. I can sleep for 12 hours straight and not even know all the fun I'm missing.

    I kind of wish I was some super cool hipster with insomnia.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think deep down, everyone loves cheesecake. It's written in our genetic code.

    As for the waking up thing, like I said it doesn't really bother me anymore and I kind of do like it, means there's less time where I'm completely 'unaware' of myself and surroundings, if that makes sense, and more time is spent when I know what's crackin'.
    Weird, but that's just how I roll.

    :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. yeesh, i need at least 6 hours to function during the day, and 8 not to be a zombie by 7o clock in the evening :p
    how do you do that? :O
    I've read that article!
    i love cracked :D

    ReplyDelete