Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Awakening

I took some photos the other day, just to try and get back into using my madskillz camera. I tried this 'exercise', where you limit yourself to just one lens and one shooting type. This helps build creativity and your eye, as you're restricted to capture objects and subjects specific to the criteria you set. For the exercise, I chose my 35mm prime lens and shot purely in black & white. I even changed my camera's picture mode to record the pictures exclusively in black & white to get me out of the habit of always doing so later in post processing.




I took the pictures over at my suburb's lake, and I really enjoyed the exercise. Limiting my lens to just the one actually gave me a feeling of liberation. Not having to constantly decide which lens was 'best' for a certain shot left me much more time to actively think out just how to compose my shot and avoid fidgeting around with my gear. It's a great exercise, and I'd advise anyone with an SLR camera or even a point & shoot that has various modes (macro, sports, etc) to try it out. It really pays off.

Anyway, here's some of the pics I took, with no post processing.









I was trying to capture a spider-web here, it's only just visible in the bottom half of the picture.




I've missed using my camera. I hope this jump-starts me into getting back into it.

Awakening
Switchfoot
Oh! Gravity, 2006

13 comments:

  1. Nice pictures!

    I love how it's black and white. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everythings Black or white on your blog.
    Short of colors ?
    I could lend you some..:P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those pictures.
    Cool how they're black and white, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. TDHAFSHERJK!

    Oh. My. Gosh.

    You have MAD SKILLZ. I especially love the fifth picture. And the eighth one. And the eleventh. And the first. Heck, I loved them all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the one with the pinecone-looking statue thingy...black & white photography is just awesome, period! Not to mention, of course, that you're an excellent photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow these are awesome! I loved the one of the dock and water (im assuming its a dock haha)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look so cool! :D If I didn't read the post, I would've thought they were professional. Black and white makes the pictures appear almost timeless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing pictures, man. The best are definitely the last two. Those were as good as professional.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa, cheers guys, I'm feelin' the love :P
    But seriously, thanks for your input. It's always nice to have feedback when you're starting out. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome pics dude! I want to be able to take cool pics like those too (My camera skills arent that bad) but im only stuck to my phone. I have some awesome pics on there, but i cant get them on the comp.. ive lost the lead to connect the phone to the computer....
    Anyways, Im just getting more and more into camera work, and will be visiting your blog more often now that I've found it. :P
    Please dont forget to have a look at mine.
    PS, I absolutley LOVE the style of it. It's (as i say) awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow thats some pretty awesome photography.
    i loved the second, and the fifth and the eight and the last two pictures. They're amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved the fifth and the eighth ones the best! The focusing was really great on those. I love photography even though I'm not that great; I'm definitely going to try some of these tips. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete