I mentioned a post or two ago that I'd been buying up Oasis' stuff, and that's just kicked into overdrive even more recently. I just the other day bought two of their DVD's ('Familiar to Millions' and 'Lord Don't Slow me Down') and a CD by Noel's new band, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds. And today I bought/ordered five more Oasis related items... four of their albums - Standing on the Shoulder of Giants, The Masterplan, Familiar to Millions, Time Flies....1994-2009, and the album Different Gear, Still Speeding by Liam's new band, Beady Eye. So yes. If you haven't been able to tell, I quite like Oasis and its offshoots.
![]() |
| Real bloody Rock 'n rollers |
I was watching Familiar to Millions the day I bought it, and it was a live DVD of their 2000 concert in Wembley in front of 70,000 fans. It was crazy. It was just a DVD, so obviously it can't come close to what it must have been like to actually have been there, but it was a testament to how amazing these guys are that the DVD was amazing. These guys just went off like nothing I've ever seen. The music, the vocals, the atmosphere... everything. It would have been absolutely unbelievable to have been a part of that concert and see it play out live right in front of your eyes.
![]() |
| What I wouldn't give to have been there... |
I still don't really know what made me want to buy some of their stuff all of a sudden, and then suddenly get so hooked on them and buy pretty much all their stuff. But whatever it was, I'm glad I did. These guys are truly amazing. Their songs are just incredible, their albums, awesome. Especially Be Here Now, which was the album that essentially was the start of their (alleged) 'faltering', after the huge success of their first two albums. But honestly, I'm stuck on that album right now. I keep looping its songs, and have been for well over a week. It's just a great album and for some reason it's really resonated with me. Songs like 'My Big Mouth', 'D'you Know What I mean?' and "It's Gettin Better (man!!)' are just stuck in my head for days on end. And I'm not complaining. I'm keen on hearing 'Standing on the Shoulder of Giants', as it's their main studio release album that I've never really heard. It's supposed to be a lot different from all their other stuff, so I'm really eager to give it a few spins and see how it plays out.
But anyway, these guys have reminded me what truly good music sounds like. It harkens back to an era when real effort was put into releasing an album and even in creating a single song. When the instrumentals in a song played such a big, important part. A lot of music these days just isn't like that; it's become more of a scene thing, more of 'club beats' (which I pretty much detest), brain-dead, repetitive lyrics, and with video clips of scantily clad men and women trying to look all sexy in front of the camera just to get some more plays. It's pathetic. So Oasis is the perfect cure to a lot of this modern crap. Makes me hope that more bands will start to get a sound like this going again, and more bands and acts will start to make 'good' music again. Either that, or the original band come together again.
Now that would be something.
Well, turns out I didn't really ramble, as such. Well I did ramble, but on one topic, so I guess I don't have ADHD. Got to look at the positives, people. Hope it was worth the read and wasn't just some boring hack post. Hopefully I'll have a new post up some if something falls through for me within the next few days... I'll keep you posted.
Peas out*, guys.
*I haven't forgotten you, Eeshie *wink*
My Big Mouth
Oasis
Be Here Now, 1997


I missed your posts! I found that extremely cohesive for a ramble, and actually very on topic, although I am not exactly the authority about staying on topic.
ReplyDeleteAnd that song is excellent.
The grin on my face after reading the last line of this post was like:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS445US445&biw=1034&bih=761&tbm=isch&tbnid=KAQ3nAYoBCkcmM:&imgrefurl=http://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php%3Ft%3D6225&docid=pu47p2fTbsuVUM&imgurl=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-VbybhNaljIc/Th4a2WkP1MI/AAAAAAAAAg0/DqBg2tW2epM/s1600/250%252B-%252Bexploitable%252Bgrin%252Blulz%252Bmeme%252Bphotoshop_template.jpg&w=469&h=428&ei=MADgTp7_EqnL0QG5yuCoBw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=93&vpy=132&dur=1291&hovh=214&hovw=235&tx=143&ty=157&sig=115858428140985706274&page=1&tbnh=119&tbnw=140&start=0&ndsp=26&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0
But anyway. I really need to listen to Oasis! I'm probably going to forget to, so it's your duty as Ash to spam me on my blog with links to their best songs, okay?
Hope everything's been well (:
Oasis is an amazing band. I love them a lot and I consider them one of, if not THE, most influential band of the past two decades. I must say, though, that Liam has gotten a bit ridiculous as of recently with his comments. Plus, the Noel-Liam feud is quite sad.
ReplyDeleteOh well, I guess it's best to keep musician's lives and their music separately. I think I like Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds more than Beady Eye, but that's probably because I like Noel more than Liam.
Oh, I seem to be rambling. Sorry :P
I wrote a really long comment, but my internet cut out.
ReplyDeleteOasis represents for me one of the final threads of real rock 'n roll. Thank you so much for reminding me of them.