| *Insert Firework explosion sound and crowd 'ooh-ing' and 'aah-ing'* |
New Years Resolutions are a bit of bull-faeces to me (and I'm sure they're the same to a lot of you out there). It's almost like a false confidence kind of thing. For most people anyway. Some people stick to their word and do make changes, but even then, for how long do they last? After a while, those few that did manage to hold out for a bit eventually succumb to their old ways and habits. It's a bit depressing. And annoying. But I digress.
I don't want to go ahead and knock the whole idea and make it seem like I'm having a crack at anyone who does make resolutions; New Years Resolutions (NYR's from here on out, who wants to waste time typing the whole thing) can be a good thing. They can give you a new perspective, a clean slate and a fresh start. IF you can pull it off. Which isn't easy. Or (potentially) healthy, even. But another reason I'm not doing NYR's is because, you know what? I'm happy with my whole perspective and outlook as it is right now. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Mid-year this year was a bit of a bump for me (minor girl issue/s... bitches be crazy*). But then my perspective shifted, and I was able to change - thanks in no small part to another blogger and an email chain, which I mentioned previously in this blog post. But yes, that was a bit of a turning point I guess you could say. That, and I just picked up my act in general. Started trying to get healthier, go out and hang with mates more, drive around just for the hell of it, and use my camera much more often. Also the whole pressure that I had been feeling from the aforementioned issue and my new found 'screw that' attitude towards it really, really unburdened me. It was great. It IS great, actually.
This year has probably been my best so far. Bit of a sweeping statement, but I feel I've grown into myself more and just become more confident and mature. I landed a full time job (even though it's a bit shit so I'm looking for a new one), sorted out some gal dramas (walk it off, champ), started going out more (still haven't been drunk yet, what a pro (... but I did throw up once...)), and this just in - I'll be (most probably) moving out mid-January. Sure there were some wrinkles along the way, but the good far outweighed the bad, I feel. And that's life really. And it's also got a lot to do with perspective; how you choose to look back and reflect on your past has a large effect on how you live in the now. I don't really believe in regrets. That's no way to live your life. Look back on past events, sure; but don't dwell on them. Don't waste time thinking overlong about what happened, moping about what could have been done. Instead learn from what happened and then put that newfound lesson into actual practise. Truly grow from past experience. That's how I want to live and go through life.
But anyway, for me life is going good. I have no reason to change it. As it stands right now, things are looking up. Bring on the New Year.
.. even though nothing really changes, it's just one more lap around the Sun...wink.
* I'm joking. Sort of.
Step Out
Oasis
Removed from final release of (What's the Story) Morning Glory?, 1995
Happy early New Year (if you don't post by then haha)! :D
ReplyDeleteI completely agree about your NYR perspective. There's really no point on making resolutions if you know that more than half of the world fails in achieving them. Just go with the flow for the rest of 2012 and embrace the good stuff.
I'm glad this year was good for you. I can say the same. As for your little asterisk note, bitches will be bitches, so it's best to let go.
Honestly, the best part of this year was making my blog and receiving comments from you. You're always insightful and you actually get my posts. I always look forward to reading what you have to say, so I just wanted to say thanks. (Please excuse my sentimental-ness; I'm in a really good mood right now. ^_^)
Until next year. *points fingers at you*
Lol.
Dude, I wish I could have that perspective. To be able to just relax and enjoy life as it comes sounds amazing, but it's difficult to develop. I'm working on it.
ReplyDelete(Lol no, I'm actually not. I'm just hoping life falls into place itself because I'm too lazy to fix it.)
But enough about me and my silly rambles! Glad you had a great year. Hope your next year is even better. :)
You're absolutely right! There's no need for resolutions. If a person wants to change they can start anytime. Most people don't realise that each day we learn something new and change anyways, it's not until a lot of time has passed and we look back at our old selves and say "Woah! That used to be me?" So yes I believe we can change without any stupid resolution.
ReplyDeleteyay! this post made a lot of sense. i agree that NYRs are bull-faeces. i'm also glad that you had a pretty good year. i hope next year is better for you :D
ReplyDeleteOne more lap around the sun :D
ReplyDeleteI.
ReplyDeleteThink.
NYRs.
Are.
Complete.
And Utter.
BULLSHIT.
I know middle-aged moms and fairly optimistic individuals are probably seeing red while reading this, but I don't give. NYRs are just ....sdjfksjd. They make me frustrated.
If they actually WORKED, if I met someone who actually KEPT their NYR, well then my opinions for this wouldn't be so strong. But nay, I have yet to find someone who honest to God keeps their damn NYR.
...IT NEVAH WORKS!
But anyway. Eeshie liked the songs you mentioned on her last post. Eeshie also liked the picture on this post, and wonders if you took it yourself. As you can see, Eeshie gets a kick out of talking about herself in third person.
-grin-
I wish I had a "screw-that" attitude. Maybe that should be my NYR.
FAREWELL, KIND CITIZEN.
I have no idea why, but for some reason this post reminded me of television from the 90s. I wish I could figure out why. Maybe it's just my brain being my brain again.
ReplyDeleteI make NYRs during the Jewish new year, because that coincides with the beginning of a school year so I'm motivated and it works. But NYRs in January? Hell no. They don't work.
I liked this post!
Beyond Timid - Naw, shucks, yo. I commented/fanboy'd in more depth on your blog.
ReplyDeleteAnna - It doesn't come easy, and I can say I've only really just started to have that perspective. I guess being out of highschool and not having to deal with all of those teen pressures and crap have a lot to do with being able to have that mindset. I know that life opens up and gets a lot better once highschool is over and done with, so don't fret too much. You'll most likely get there one day.
Thanks, and I hope you have a great next year as well.
AZ - Too true. Why wait til a new year is about to kick in? That's stupid. If you want to change, then do so now. It's a much more powerful statement than waiting for something so cliche'd as NYR's. I mean really (to all these NYR peeps), grow a pair. :P.
Furree Katt - Cheers dudette, I hope you have an epic New Year as well, all the best ;).
Ovais - It's true though haha. Boring, rational and (maybe possibly almost) pessimistic, but true nonetheless. Heh.
Eeshie - Sing it, sistah. They make me so frustrating because they're so cliche' (I seem to use that word a lot) and even worse, they don't seem to 'work' for too long, do they? And yeah, I'm the same as you - if I saw someone who succesfully pulled off an NYR or two, I wouldn't be so hard on the whole concept. But I've yet to see it happen.
Ash also enjoys third person talkage, because it lets you imagine yourself in a disconnected, action-movie-esque way. Mad props.
And also Ash did that picture he used in this post. You likie?
Gabi - TV from the 90's? Really? How so? Now I'm intrigued haha.
When is the Jewish New Year? And do you do the resolutions often? Have they panned out?
And cheers, yo.
I'm to lazy to do NYRs. In fact, I often resolve to do new things throughout the year anyways, so there really isn't a point of re-dressing them before January.
ReplyDeleteCarefree IDGAF attitude FTW.
What a chill new post. Everytime I try to adopt this kind of attitude, it just turns out like this: http://www.explosm.net/comics/2536/
ReplyDeleteOh! It took me like ten minutes to figure out what the "NYR's" everyone has been talking about are. Yeah, I agree. They're about as useful to me as a box full of used condoms. (Which is to say, not entirely useless. Don't look at me like that. They're washable, dammit!) I find I don't just wake up one day a changed man. I have to make gradual changes to my lifestyle for the better. Pick up new, healthy habits and over time try to make myself a better person.
But I'm glad you've had a good year. When people write happy healthy blog posts, it really cheers me up, because there are so many whiny ones where people bitch about all their problems for thirty minutes. Your blog is good for that reason. You never bitch about your problems for thirty minutes.
Sorry for my absence on this blog. I've been taking a sorta sabbatical from the blogging world. It's suited me well for the past month or so, but I'm curious to see where everyone's been since then.
Oasis. Nice.
Stay golden, son.
The dude above me is funny (^^,) *lol*
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year. I agree with your perspective "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Glad I found your blog again :D CHEESECAKE!
Tay
x
Resolutions are stupid. They let me down.
ReplyDeleteHappy new year!
I took the slice of the cake.
http://suchanelf.blogspot.com/
I am here to eat your cheesecake. Also I hope you do well in 2012 :)
ReplyDeleteHappy new year
ReplyDelete(Since I'm totally not a creeper, like, at all.)
ReplyDeleteThe Jewish New Year falls around September or October (The 1st of Tishrei in Hebrew months :P)
I find that the resolutions I make in terms of being a better person (like gossiping less) tend to work, because the Jewish New Year is kind of a cleansing period.
Then my resolution every single year to keep my room cleaner has never and will never work.