Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Path of Most Resistance

I'm in a bit of a dilemna.

Bit rich coming off my last post where I said life was all peaches 'n cream. Amusing how much life can turn around in a week or so, yeah? Anyway, some context.


I've got a friend whose lease ends in a week or two, so he essentially needs to find a new place to rent. And another friend has to move out in a few months, so they're both looking to move out together. And they've asked me to move out with them as well. Initially I've always been partial to buying a place over renting. But I've realised that buying a house is a long, long way off, and jumping right into buying a place without any experience of living on my own is a pretty massive step. These guys have also been for renting over buying initially, and one of them made a good point; why would I want to go into debt so young? That point got me thinking. I mean, I'm still relatively young. Why not live a little? Renting a place with mates would be a hell of an experience. So I thought - yeah why not? I'll move out.

So that's all well and good. Then my employer wanted to meet up with me to 'talk'. That was yesterday. He knows I'm looking for a new job, and he made the point that it would be more convenient both for him and the schools if I quit now instead of dropping them midterm. He makes a valid point. It would be a bit of an issue, knowing you're going to lose an employee... but not knowing when. It could leave a bit of a whole at that workplace, but I see where he's coming from.

If I wasn't moving out and in need of a constant flow of cash, I'd just quit now and save both him and the schools a bit of trouble. But since I am most likely moving out, I need a steady source of income. So what to do? Quit now, with no guarantee of finding a job anytime soon and having to pay rent every week, or keep working for him, look for a job on the side and then bail when I find one? Decisions, decisions.

I feel more guilty towards the schools, because as I've mentioned in previous posts, I feel more loyalty to the schools I work at and the teams I work with than I do towards my actual employer. He does work under the radar a bit, and has done some shifty things (seemingly, to me anyway), so in that sense, I don't owe him much and I actually don't care about just bailing on him because he's pissed me off with things in the past. So what do I owe him? Why should I do him any favours? And legally, I'm only expected to give two weeks notice when I find a new job, so I wouldn't be doing anything shifty.

So yeah, what to do? Quit now to save the schools some trouble, but run the risk of not landing a job any time soon? Or keep working where I currently am, but look for a job on the side and bail on the schools when I find one?

I do know that I don't have to find a new job; I can easily stay where I am. But what I'm making now is pretty paltry and I know for a fact I could be earning a substantially greater amount at other places doing essentially what I'm doing right now. So I want a new job for the increased cash-flow, and also for the fact that tech support at a school isn't exactly that challenging or rewarding. Plus, I have to deal with shitty little punks who lie as easily as breathing. Not fun. Especially when you can't physically beat them. So looking for a new/better job is definitely something I want to do, but I guess I could hang in there for a bit longer... I don't know. I'm really stuck on this issue.

What do you guys think? Outside insight would be really great, if you can provide any.


Under the Knife
Rise Against
Sufferer and the Witness, 2006

9 comments:

  1. Wow. From my limited perspective I would just say stay safe for now. To me, a lack of cash flow is the scariest thing ever.

    Then again, I don't have a job, I'm still in school, and I live with my parents.

    Take everything I say as a grain of salt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could give better advice on this, but I don't really know anything. My only guidance would be to avoid staying somewhere (or leaving somewhere) just because you feel bad.
    As a side note, I found an AMAZING cheesecake recipe and I thought of you. I haven't actually tried it out, but it looks delicious and is in COMIC FORM.
    http://www.cookingcomically.com/?page_id=204
    I hope that cheers you up a bit maybe?
    Forgive my sentence structure. It's been a long week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I were you, I'd stick with your current job and keep an eye out for other options. Potentially having no money indeed is a scary thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The need for my stability of income is definitely something I'm not taking lightly. As you were saying Bookish Spazz and Beyond Timid, (it sounds amusing when I'm trying to be serious yet I say 'Bookish Spazz' as well, ha), the lack of any sort of steady cashflow is definitely something you don't want to experience when you move out. So I'll do my best to try and avoid that particular pitfall.

    Guess I'll just have to stick it out with the subpar job for now, and look for something on the side.

    And Gabi, I wouldn't really mind the pay if I enjoyed the job, you know? But no one likes to be stuck in something they don't like for too long and getting paid what you feel is a low amount only adds salt to the wound. But then again, beggars can't be choosers. I've got a steady job when a lot of people can't say the same, so I can't complain too much.

    Also Gabi... cheesecake ALWAYS cheers me up, so you've pretty much made my day. Excellent find ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow O.o good luck :D

    Eat ze cheesecake and it shall all be good :D *hazaah*

    (Sorry for the lack of useful advice but I am a mere teenager and would probably give you the wrong advice):P

    Tay
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S I've awarded you on my blog. Don't forget to claim it :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like finding a new job would be good for us both.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh! The adult problems hurt my high-school mind!
    Don't take my advice, as I usually am wrong. I would look for a job and bail when you've got it. I wouldn't leave finding a job up to chance. Chance usually likes to re-enact the scene from the Shashank Redemption involving "the sisters" with me, and I am not one of "the sisters." Either way, do what you think is right, follow your gut, etc. etc. and etc.

    PS: I really like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, no one except yourself can decide this for you because ultimately you live with your choices.

    I'd say that you need to decide what is more important to you right now, having a job you enjoy more, or moving out. That's pretty much the question.

    ReplyDelete