And now onto a post.
First off, a warning; this particular post is probably going to sound bat-shit crazy and completely spaced out and may possibly even make no sense, so just keep that in mind. I'm going to talk about something that I've spent a lot of time thinking about and pondering on. It's just one of those things, I guess. But this particular concept which I'm about to discuss has always fascinated me and kept me up many a night. It's such an unfathomable concept and one that will probably never be able to be fully comprehended by people. It is, I think, the most powerful force in the universe, because it is something that I personally believe cannot be controlled in any way.
What is this force?
Time.
This is going to be really hard for me to get my thoughts across, because even to me they're hard to make sense of, but I'll do my best. Time has always fascinated me. It's always got me thinking. And I should start off by saying that I don't mean 'time' as in "Hey, it three o'clock," and stuff like that. I don't really mean time in that sense, I mean it in the sense of the passage of time. I mean it in the sense of aging, in progression of life (of everything, really) - and how we have absolutely no control over it. Time is just there. It always has been, and always will be. Everything alive is powerless to change that, and I think forever will be. Time is just - time.
I don't believe in time travel at all. I think it is physically impossible for someone to travel backward or forward in time, because I don't believe that time is like a filmstrip that unravels as it goes forward; I think it is a single instance - there is no way to go forward or back because there's nothing to go forward or back to. Time travel to the past isn't possible because there isn't just a frame you can jump back to, and time travel into the future isn't possible because that would imply that everything has already happened and is predetermined. It can't be rewound or sped up, it can't be altered in any way, no one can simply jump forward or backward into a 'frame'. For time travel to exist like that, I think there would have to be parallel universes so that someone could jump not forward or back, but up or down into another universe entirely - something else which I think is impossible and a topic for another time, but I'm just trying to make a point.
The way we measure time - in seconds, minutes, hours, days, years, centuries, millenia - is just our rudimentary way of keeping track of how much time has elapsed. I mean think about it: seconds (and everything that's built off seconds - minutes, hours, and everything after that's built upon a 'second') were coined be people. It was made up. It wasn't a fact of the universe, it was and is an increment in the passage of time that has been labelled as a measurement. It could have easily been made shorter or longer than it is right now (for example, a 'second' could easily have been made to last three seconds or something), and then that would have changed everything - but only in how we as humans have learned to interpret and incorporate time - the universe would have gone on and been exactly the same as it is right now without being affected whatsoever. Time - in the sense of '24 hours in a day, 60 minutes in an hour, 60 seconds in a minute' - in how we measure it is just a fabricated concept. It's just how we measure its passing, but it in no way has time been tamed or controlled... it's just been labelled.
Time I think is the most powerful force in the universe because it can't be stopped. It cannot be controlled in any way, it cannot really be manipulated. Though, Einstein's Theory of Relativity states that the faster an object is going, the 'slower' time becomes. It says something along the lines that firing someone off at light-speed for a year or two, and then having them come back two years later, four years would have elapsed for them, but because time would have slowed down for them much, more years would have passed on Earth by the time they got back. Something like that anyway. Don't quote me on that exactly, but the theory is along those lines. But I don't know, is that really time travel? I don't think it is. Time travel has to be instantaneous I think, for the person travelling. The Theory of Relativity is something else, so I don't think it counts. At least not in how I try to wrap my head around the whole concept.
Anyway, time has always fascinated me because I think it's something pretty much indescribable. I don't think time as I'm trying to describe has anything to do with seconds, minutes and hours, it's more of the passage everything goes through in the course of existence. The 'time' that we've ascribed to this passage is just how we measure this passage. They're labels and increments we've created, but they're not binding or universal - they're just what was coined, essentially.
My fascination of time is one reason I think I like wearing watches so much. Bit of an obtuse turn in this post, I know, but I think that it goes some way towards explaining my obsession with time. I love wearing watches and wear one every single time I'm out of the house. I'm constantly checking what time it is and can often guess what time it is, and then when I check my watch or a clock I'll be either dead on or damn close. Because I check the time so much, I've hard-wired my brain essentially to keep an accurate interior clock almost, and keep track of it subconsciously.
I'm also obsessed with having all my timekeeping pieces match up. My alarm clock is synced - to the very second - with the time on my computer, which in turned is synced globally with every other device connected to the internet which is in turn I think synced with an atomic clock. And I've done my best to get my watches to sync up as well. Though none of my watches are chronometers so their accuracy isn't bang on, but it's as close as I can make it. One day I will get a watch that's branded officially as a chronometer and then that'll be sweet, yo. But back on track; I have a fascination with watches and clocks and one thing I really want after I've gotten my own place is a grandfather clock. I know. I'm weird, but there you go.
But in summary, I don't think that time is something that can ever be fully understood by humans. I don't it's something that can ever be controlled or manipulated in anyway whatsoever. And because of that, I think that it is truly an unstoppable, unchangeable force. I almost think it exists outside of the universe itself, or doesn't exist at all. I mean, the universe can and probably will 'end'... but time will still go on. But if time goes on and the universe has ended, doesn't that mean time has ceased to exist..? Or is at the very least separate from the universe entirely? I don't know.
And I don't really think anyone ever will.
I'm hoping I've made myself clear enough, but I've reread what I've written multiple times and I'm still not perfectly happy with what I've written and how I've gotten it across. Like I mentioned towards the start of this post, it's a concept I myself haven't fully grasped or understood, so I knew I'd never be able to fully express myself through a blog post. I hope however that it has made some sense. And feel free to sound off in the comments with anything you agree or disagree with, I'd love to have some sort of discussion on this concept.
Stop the Clocks
Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds
Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, 2011

Hmm interesting. I thought you're right that humans will never fully comprehend time (and yes it freaks me out too when I think about it). I also don't believe in time travel in its traditional interpretation (visiting 1950 or something like that). But i read an article about an atom that seemed to transform at certain speeds, and scientists realized it might actually be hopping into another dimension and coming back (I wish I remembered more details about the article). Anyway, it was kind of like time travel, and it made me realize that once we get down into physics - tiny particles of matter - the way they behave is still so mysterious that anything is possible
ReplyDeleteThat info about that atom seems pretty awesome, I might have to check that out. And you're right about getting down to the 'physics' level -- there's still just so much we don't know about so many things. Makes you wonder if we'll ever get a handle on certain things...
ReplyDeleteI really like this! I like how you think of time, though it isn't the exact same way I think of time. I guess that is the thing about time. It's kind of like colours. You can never tell if other people are experiencing it the same way you are.
ReplyDeleteThat is life though, I suppose. You are surrounded by people, yet you go through it alone.
On to a completely different subject, I totally know what you are talking about with the internal clock thing. I used to always have a watch, but I haven't had the time to change it since Daylight Savings Time, so I have to rely on my internal clock. And I'm pretty damn accurate most of the time, if I do say so myself.
Congrats on the Thought Report :)
L.
Interesting!
ReplyDeleteSince I've recently been getting old enough to watch people age, I find it really weird to watch people get older. I've been thinking about time a lot because of that, so this was great.
I have something to add. We're travelling forward through time right now, just at a regular speed. If we were travelling forward in time at an accelerated rate then it would be the sort of travelling forward like you meant. :P
Congratulations on The Thought Report!
Whenever I think about time,or the universe, or even the concept of infinity I get sick. Like, my head spins and I want to sleep for hours kind of sick. It's been like that ever since I was little.
ReplyDeleteAnyways, your question about time and it's existence once the universe is no longer is one of those "if a tree falls in the forest" type of questions.
I'm a bit of the opposite of you. I hardly ever have a watch on, and 9/10 times I NEVER know what time it is. Sometimes I'm even unclear about the what day of the week it is. Not to mention I'm completely sober and under NO influence of anything whatsoever. I'm so out of tune with time. Haha. :)
The thought of time, or more specifically "forever," really just hurts my head. I can't wrap my head around the concept of there being no end - of something just going on without a stopping point. I think aging is so beautiful though - the wisdom that people acquire with the passing years.
ReplyDeleteI do wish my parents were a little more up on time though - I don't think a single clock in my house is synced. It is the most frustrating thing in the world.
Great post! :)
L - that colours things freaks me out, too. What if I see the colour red different to someone else? What if they see it as blue? WE WOULD NEVER KNOW. This is why I'm scared and wear tin-foil hats and apparel. and they called me crazy. Bastards.
ReplyDeleteKudos on the internal clock too, it's an acquired skill ;). And even more kudos on the book. Yay us.
Gabi - Aging got/gets to me as well. Like how animals age at vastly different speeds than us. Is it to scale, I wonder. I'm trippin', yo.
And the fact that we're travelling through time now; is that really forward time trvelling? I just thought of it as 'existence' - of 'life'. Everything's playing out as it should, at a '1x speed', if you will. It's not accelerated, if that makes sense. But then again, that's my whole argument - what is time travel - and time itself - really? Great comment.
Bookish-Spazz - Really? You get sick from it? That sucks. This kind of mindf*ckery is what keeps me going haha. Sure it keeps me up at night, but I find it so revelationary and refreshing. I love it. Most of the time. But yeah, it does make your head spin, doesn't it? In a good way for me though ;).
Allison - The concept of 'forever' made me 'wtf' as well, I mean how can something really have no end? If it has no end, how can it have a beginning? It's crazy. But awesome.
I like aging as well. I like the thought and act of progression, of things adding up and taking their toll (and I don't mean that in a negative sense).
The unsync'd clocks would flip me out though, I HATE that haha. It's going on right now in my living room, three different clocks and not one of them matches or is accurate. What kind of WORLD is this.