So it's my birthday today, and you know what? No big deal. I don't exactly celebrate my birthdays in a big way. Seeing as all most people enjoy doing is going to a pub or club for an all-nighter piss-up (which they seem to do every week, so I don't understand the significance of it on your birthday weekend), I don't go to any great lengths to do anything special. I'm not a fan of the drink, so that type of scene doesn't really seem too fitting to me, even if it is my birthday. But anyway, enough relative negativity, onto something hopefully interesting.
I've always found it amusing and sad at the same time when people lie about their age. I mean, why? Why would you lie about how old you are? Apart from to get into clubs and rent dirty movies, why would you lie to someone about your age? To try and feel younger? How does that work, you know you're lying, surely it'll only depress you more, assuming you're already depressed about your age.
What I don't get is how someone can deny how old they are. They are denying their age, denying at times whole years of their life. Can they honestly say that there wasn't at least one single event in each and every one of their years that changed their life in some way? Can they honestly just lie about their age and therefore deny these years and these experiences that they've had in their lives?
Because to me, if you lie about your age, you're lying about your life.
Each and every year something has happened to you that's changed the way you look at and experience your life. Something of significance happened, maybe you made a new friend that you'll never forget, maybe you got your license that year, maybe a pet of yours died, maybe close friends from your childhood have moved away but you're still in contact with them. If you're lying about your age, it's like you're saying that these things never happened and therefore never had an effect on you.
Every single year of my life, let alone every month and every week of my life, has shaped me in some small way. It shapes everyone, don't you agree? There are countless little things that happen to us over a short period of time that add up and make larger ripples down the line and change us.
I can't deny my age, and I will never lie about how old I am. Hell, I'm even proud to say how old I am. I'm 22. And each one of my 22 years, my 264 months, my 1144 weeks, and my 8030 days has shaped me, in at least some small way, and made me the person I am today. The good times, and the bad times. And I'm grateful for that.
Why Do I Keep Counting
The Killers
Sam's Town, 2006
I have had Sam's Town acoustic in my head all day. I love The Killers (along with Oasis, I just glanced at your sidebar).
ReplyDeleteHmmm, today is my best friend's 16th birthday. You are precisely 6 years apart.
I agree. Age is nothing to be ashamed about.
Wow. I've NEVER thought about it like that. And you are completely right. I've always been blasé about birthday. It's supposed to be so great, but I end up feeling the same as any other day. It's pointless. In fact, the only thing I like about it is the million facebook notifications I get even though the majority are from people I never talk to. lol
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday lol
Happy birthday to you! :)
ReplyDeleteThat is such an interesting idea that you have there. I've never thought about people lying about their age to be like that. But you're totally right... the years that you've added on certainly aren't a bad thing. But maybe people lie because they think that they haven't done anything productive or significant in those years that they've stacked up.
Happy birthday!!! :D
ReplyDeleteYeah I've never thought about that either, but that's really true! It's like deleting whole events from your life, or pretending like they never happened. I mean, your age is what it is, so I find it pointless to try and change it
happy birthday :D
ReplyDeletei didn't celebrate my birthday either. i hope your day turns out to be super awesome.
i don't get why people lie about their age either. there are tons of celebrities here who cut down their age by 5 years or so, so that they can stay in the business longer. i'm talking about Pakistani models/actors/actresses who must be in their 30s but claim to be younger than 25.
it's common among cricket players, too! though not as drastic.
Thanks guys!
ReplyDeleteJillian: The Killers, Coldplay, Oasis and Starsailor are the only bands I listen to where every single one of their songs I like. And I mean EVERY song. They're awesome bands.
Lex: Yeah to be honest... the Facebook thing is always the highlight thing for me as well haha :P
Kay: I guess so, and that's kind of sad in a way, if they think they've done nothing of note or worth in their years. But I guess yes, there are definitely people like that out there.
Hannah: You're completely right, your age is what it is, changing it can only be negative; no matter for what reason, I think.
Furree Katt: I guess celebrities are the main culprits of the whole age-defying thing. But I don't see why, I mean they'd be the easiest people to call the bluff on, I mean, they're freakin celebrities haha so many people follow their lives with a fine tooth comb... sad :P.
WHOA.
ReplyDeleteI just realized how true this whole post was. Dammmmmmmmmmn.
And happy birthday! I know, I know. You don't care that it's your birthday, and you're probably waving this off humbly. But too bad. You will have a happy birthday! GAH!
:)
Happy birthday! This is a tad late for a birthday wish considering you posted this yesterday but the point still stands.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on being able to appreciate your life like that, I think it's something that many people never realize, and as many other people have said in comments it is very true.
This was really well written, and I truly enjoyed how direct the last paragraph was, it summed everything up so nicely. =)
Awwwww 22yrs old,..a young cub lol
ReplyDeleteAwww I only got to know of your blog now, but.. HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!! We're of he same age! :D
ReplyDeleteI'm your new follower, btw! :)
Why hullo thar, always nice to see new peeps.
ReplyDeleteHope you enjoy the cheesecake...