I've applied for four or five jobs over the last few days and haven't heard back from anyone. I've actually just fired off an application before I started typing this entry. Four or five may seem like a small amount, but there's really only a small amount of jobs that I feel I would be able to successfully perform. Plus a LOT of jobs advertised where I've been looking are asking for the whole '1-2 years experience' thing, so that rules them out. Of the small number of jobs that I've applied for, only two of them are ones that I actually really want to get. The others are sort of meh, but I would still say 'yes' to them if I was interviewed but they wouldn't be ideal.
Of the two that I actually want, one was for a graduate position with Telstra, Australia's premier telecommunications company. So yeah, a position here would be pretty sweet when I think of job security and career paths. The second position was for the role I just fired off an application for. It's a desktop support role, meaning I'd be in a building or something helping staff members deal with their computer and laptop problems. I like the way they advertised the position; the very first line on the job posting was "We allow facebook at work!". These guys are really 'hip' and 'with it'. Yeah boy. But seriously, it shows they have a more relaxed, informal atmosphere in the workplace, and I like that. So yes, either of these two jobs I would actually really like to get. The Telstra one more so than the desktop support one, but I would not say no to either of these two offers.
![]() |
| That could be me, damnit. |
I've also thought what I would do if I was accepted for 2 different jobs, and what I say do if I had to choose. In my head I can see myself saying to the faceless Yes-Man doing the interview "I'm at a time in my life right now where job salary isn't the deciding factor. It is a factor, yes, but it's not the one that tips the scale. Right now I'm after a job that I think will appeal more to me, will offer more to me and would be one where I think I have a real future." That's what I imagine anyway, but who knows, I might sell out and go with the higher paying position. And that worries me.
When I recall the time not so long ago when I was thinking of writing my resume', I remember saying to myself "I'm not going to be a sellout here and over embellish my resume' and bullsh*t about how good I am at customer service and how much satisfaction I get from a happy customer,". But guess what? I've done that. I've sold out. Because you have to sell yourself to get a job. They don't hire the guy who tells the truth and is conservative and humble; they hire the guy who talks himself up in his cover letter, who really milks it. And that really annoys me, but damnit if it's what I have to do to land a bloody job, I'll do it.
But I won't like it.
I really want to get employed soon. I'm just sitting at home these days. It sucks.
A Rush of Blood to the Head
Coldplay
A Rush of Blood to the Head, 2002

Well it definitely sucks. I know. Especially if you live in a small place, then it sucks even more. I recommend watching Company men, for some reason it's good to know you are not the only one.
ReplyDeleteWow, I never realized how hard this job-getting-process is.
ReplyDeleteSee, I'm a teenager, and I'm still in school. Which also means that I am still taken care of by my parents. I, and many other people my age, don't get how hard getting a job is. Honestly, I'm a little scared.
Good luck, though. :)
Hmm...now I'm worried about getting a job someday :P The resume thing was funny though :)
ReplyDeleteLove that song! Coldplay is awesome. I like everything they've ever done practically
Sometimes not having a job is a good thing.
ReplyDeleteMy job can be pretty irritating at times (for an example of what I mean, read my blog post titled "Bad Day").
If only I won the lottery and didn't have to go back...
I guess it can come down to luck, when you look for a job. Some people can get jobs relatively easily out of school or uni or whatever, and some people have a harder time. It also helps if you know people in the industry, which I don't.
ReplyDeleteSo yeah, it is and is not easier than I'm making it out to be, but I'm just bitching about it now because it's really getting to me.