As one Miss Gabi asked, no I am not dead. Just busy and lazy. But thanks for checking up anyway. You've spurred me to get off my arse and post something finally. Kudos to you, Gabz*.
So yes, as is my usual excuse, I have been busy. The last week of work was insanity. I've never worked that hard for five straight days, I don't think. It was all because me and the other tech had to recall pretty much every students laptop, inspect it for damage, take them off the students, wipe the devices, and then reissue them for students. All 500 of them. And all the 'wiping and reallocating' had to be done in five days. Wasn't exactly fun.
Also, I was in Japan. That was fun.
So yes, I've been overseas twice this year**. Pretty bangin'. Japan was kind of spur of the moment, not planned like Sri Lanka was. My friend's brother works for a flight centre, and maybe two months ago asked if some of us wanted to go to Japan. I had enough cash saved up and so said 'yes' immediately, and that was that.
We were there for roughly two weeks. The first half was spent in Tokyo, and the second half at Niseko for some skiing and snowboarding. I was never going to go for the skiing. I was all about taking photos whilst I was there. I carried my camera practically everywhere, way past the point of its weight becoming annoying and painful. As uncomfortable as it could sometimes be (especially carrying it for hours, while also running for trains and buses), I knew it was nothing compared to the feeling of getting to a place and then saying "damnit, I should have brought my camera,". I was pretty happy with the photos I got, so in that respect, the journey was a marked success.
I sucked at skiing and snowboarding though. Absolutely sucked. I'd never seen snow before at all, so I guess I shouldn't have expected too much from myself. Still, I was terrible at both and really didn't enjoy either that much at all. I never spent a full day out on the slopes, and didn't head out at all on the last day - which was lucky actually, as it had been raining just before and most of the lifts were closed. But like I said, I wasn't there for the slopes - I was there for the picture-taking opportunities.
Like so.
And be forewarned - this post will be picture overload.
| All me. I kind of enjoyed the food. A lot. |
| Artificial sky. Can be one colour, and then - |
| - bam. |
| Absolutely awesome fountain in this plaza thing in Pallet Town |
| Shibuya - I think. I was terrible with place names. |
| Observe the correct pose for duck-face. |
| View from Tokyo Tower. This place would have been amazing at night. |
| The Golden Temple. Pretty mad stuff. |
| The one Geisha we saw. Was pretty trippy. |
| Me, being all Assassins Creed in my newly acquired (faux-)leather jacket, hoodie and face mask |
| Death Mt. |
The trip was awesome, and as can be seen, we saw a fair few different sights. The food was fantastic. I'm still having Japanese food withdrawals. We also made a pretty rookie mistake wth the currency exchange, but that's a story for another time...
Sorry again for my extended hiatus. I'll try and post back soon about what else has been happening and I'll also try and catch up on all your blog posts.
Peace, peeps.
Hello
(What's the Story) Morning Glory?
Oasis, 1995
*Can i call you Gabz? No? Who you gonna call? Ghostbusters? Yeah whatever.
** Head balla shot-calla
Ive always wanted to go to japan
ReplyDeleteYaaaaaay you're back!
ReplyDeleteJapan looked freaking awesome and your Assasin's Creed look was the bombdigaddy.
Don't go away again - you leave awesome comments on my blog :P
Byeeeeeeeee
Tay
x
Hm, for some reason you didn't show up in my post update thingy. Weird.
ReplyDeleteAnyway. I am happy I got you to post. I've missed your photographs. You can call me Gabz, since my name is so blatantly nickname-able that I'm used to this kind of thing.
Beautiful pictures. Japan has such an interesting culture. And is that Geisha a real Geisha? Whoa.
--Gabz
I love your pictures! So awesome!
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm glad you're sort of back... I understand the busy/lazy thing. I've been trying to get better at it, but it's sort of a lost cause.
Assassin's Creed picture = Boss.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you had such a wonderful trip! I wanna go to Japan, too. Your blog always as the best pictures.
Has* haha.
DeleteYour pictures are phenomenal - I seriously could learn so much from you. Uhm, holy jealousy. Your trips sound INCREDIBLE - minus you sucking at snowboarding, but I guess we all have our flaws ;)
ReplyDeleteAnd your duck face picture? Amazing.
Good luck at work - I feel you on the crazy busyness.
Happy 2013! xo
"Another sunny afternoon... walking to the sound of my favorite tune...Today's the day that all the world will see..." (typed from memory, Oasis for the win)
ReplyDeleteJAPAN LOOKS SO AMAZING.
The last shot of the chairlift was my favorite, but all the pictures are so cool.
Love those bits of time where you're like "YES, I do indeed have my camera instead of constantly forgetting it"
Glad that Gabz coerced you into blogging again.
Nice to see you in 2013.
_Jillian