I haven't done this in ages. I feel incredibly rusty, trying to do this. Admittedly, I clicked on the 'new post' button and then sat staring at the blank canvas for minutes on end, just figuring out what to write. It's not coming as easily as it used to. Which makes sense I guess, seeing how long it's been.
That being said, it also feels good. I've genuinely missed blogging, but can't really put a finger onto why I haven't posted in so long. Maybe it just got to a stage where I was so consumed with work that I didn't have time to sit down and write. I've never been a fan of churning out half-baked posts, which is why most of my posts before this were already spread out, though not to this degree. It also didn't feel good trying to force myself to blog. I use blogging as an outlet, a release. It's relaxing to me when I write posts, and forcing myself to post something when I wasn't feeling it just isn't doable for me. I should have posted long before this, but I think I just needed a break.
I still read your blogs, though again, not as often as I'd like. It is good to go back and read them, and see how you guys are doing. I have some of you guys as friends on facebook anyway, so it's not like I've completely dropped out of contact. I hope not, anyway.
I've been alright. Work's been crazy busy these last few months. New systems and processes being implemented, trying to clean up and put some order into chaos; chaos being where the previous techs appeared to run the system. The other tech I work with and myself got dropped into a shitstorm essentially, where stuff was just all over the place and in a pretty sorry state. The previous guys didn't have the best rep with staff. I've been told it got to the point where staff started hanging up the phone when a certain tech answered, as he was pretty terrible at his job. My 'goal' as such from day one at this school was to turn that around and get staff back on board with the IT side of things. And that seems to have worked. I've literally had numerous staff come up to me and the other guy saying how much of a good job we were doing and how well we'd turned the scene around. It's great to hear that. IT isn't always the most 'fun' field to work in, so it's always good when the people you're helping tell you that you're doing a good job.
It hasn't all been work work work though. I went back to Sri Lanka in the middle of the year. It was my grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary. Bit of a milestone. It's always good to head back there, but this time it meant a bit more. I had a great time over there. We didn't do any tourist-y things this time around, but I think that was a good thing. This trip was a bit shorter than our usual forays over there, so it was good to spend pretty much all of our time there with our extended family.
I've been living on my own, since I got back. I moved out just before we went overseas, but that was only for a week, if that, before I had to head back home, pack, and leave. So it didn't feel like I'd actually moved out. But once the trip was over and we got back, I haven't spent a single night back at my old house. I've been getting along out of home really well. I've always kind of liked cooking, but have never had any real motivation to spend much time doing it. Now that I'm out of home though, I have to cook all the time. And I really enjoy it. I've also found I'm not too shabby at it. I've still only got a handful of recipes in my arsenal, but they all go alright. I've also found out that I make a pretty mean lasagne. It's always been my favourite pasta, so the fact that I can pull off a decent dish of it is great. And it's actually deceptively easy to make, so that doesn't hurt at all. What is surprising is how often you have to go out to buy more food, and how much of your time is occupied by thoughts of 'I need to cook/make food when I get home'. Still, I'm enjoying it, so no big.
One point of annoyance; my roommate has a washing machine, but it doesn't work. So we both have to take our laundry home to get it done. Not too much of a hassle for me, seeing how my old house is 7 minutes away*. That's cool, the neighbours must just assume I'm some lazy moocher, still getting parents to do the laundry. Which is... true. I guess. Up to a point. We can't have it all it seems.
I've also printed out some of my photos. It's the first time I've done that, and I have to say, it's nice having physical copies of some of the shots I've taken. I've stuck them up on my wall. I plan to get more printed out, and when my wall is complete, I'll post a picture of my pictures**, so you can look while you look. I also went to a new lookout with a friend of mine and we took some photos. It's a great little lookout point, I don't know why we hadn't gone to it sooner. This is probably my favourite shot from that little shoot:
Funnily enough, it has little to nothing to do with the actual lookout point. That's part of the magic I guess. Sometimes you just find opportunites with subject matter that has nothing to do with the original shoots' intention. Too bad the camera in that photo is a Canon and not a Nikon...
That's all I can think of for now. Like I said, I'm rusty, so the creative-ness isn't flowing like it used to. I think it's a good thing at the moment, to start slow and then get back into the swing of things. Hopefully this means I'll be posting more regularly. Anyway, it was good to type this up, I've really missed it. My apologies for my long absense guys. It's good to be back.
Rumours of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated
Rise Against
Siren Song of the Counter Culture, 2004
*I may have failed to mention that
**Inception style
WOWSA.
ReplyDeleteTalk about information overload!
Firstly, it's awesome that you moved out! And cooking! Cooking is awesome! Also, I'm now craving lasagna...
And, HEY NOW. What's wrong with Canon's? NOTHING.
My posts are very impulsive, and so they sometimes come off as shitty. Meh, it's the only place I can vent. I like how well rounded your posts are. I have some major blog jealousy going on.
It's nice to see you blogging again:) I always enjoy your posts.
ReplyDelete(pats your back)- Good to have you back.
ReplyDeleteArgh I love Canon AND Nikon. And Rise Against.
Oh and ayubowan- I think thats the only sri lankan word I know.
Isn't it a strangely nostalgic feeling to press the new post button after months away?
ReplyDeleteI like Canon, but then I've only ever had upper end point and shoot cameras, not the real deal DSLR ones so it's hard to really say.
Have I ever mentioned how much I like your blog?
I find it quite hard to balance blogging, work, a social life, etc., so I feel your pain and the happiness of returning to blogging.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you've been extremely busy - congrats on moving out, that's a HUGE step! I'm sure it's relieving to be on your own (and bigger congrats on learning how to cook!).
I FOUND YOUR BLOG AGAIN. i was following you on your old URL and i was like OMG HE DELETED HIS BLOG. but thank goodness you didn't! I followed you here!
ReplyDeleteAre you alive?
ReplyDelete