Tuesday, December 21, 2010

New Lens :O

That's right folks, I just bought a new lens for my camera. A prime (not prime as in sexy, prime as in fixed focal length... wait no I mean it in both ways) Nikkor 35mm f1.8, which is basically a 1:1 lens, meaning it sees basically everything the size it is with no zooming etc.






I've wanted a new lens for a bit but was originally shooting for a micro (macro lens for non-Nikon heretics) lens for some really epic close up shots of things. The world looks a lot different through a micro lens. But the Nikkor lens I was looking at is (in Australian moneys) is roughly $750-$800, so it's not exactly cheap. This 35mm lens was $370 on sale (down from $500). Still not exactly cheap, but well within my price range. I can theoretically get a good micro lens for ~$500, but this particular lens doesn't have the autofocus that the more expensive lenses have. "Well hold up there now, Billie Jean," I can hear you saying "why do you require autofocus when you can save two hundred bones on a cheaper lens?" Well huckleberries, it is a fair amount to save, but in the long run I honestly think I'd be better off with the autofocus. Camera preview screens aren't exactly cinema-size, so it makes it really hard to tell if you've got the focal point perfectly in focus right after you've taken the shot. To be sure, you can only really check on a pc once you've hooked up your camera to it. And unless you're a hardcore poindextor who carries a desktop pc in their bag complete with mouse, keyboard and monitor... or, you know, a laptop, it just ain't efficient or practical. I'd much rather spend the extra cashola on a more fully featured lens with auto focus to ensure I get just the right focus pretty much every time. Much better than taking what I think is a perfect shot, only to come home later and find out I've botched it like England botched the 2nd Ashes game.

Anyways, I've just been doing some test shots to get the feel for it and hopefully I'll have some good ones to upload on here and my Flickr account soon.

Godspeed.

PS: I really am getting lazier these days, I don't even really spell check anymore. I'll try to get back into it because I am one of those people who judges others on their spelling and grammar. Whenever I see something along the lines of "LOL omg he wuz liek sooooo totelly hawt n i wuz jsut liek aaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwww" on Facebook I feel like exiting the room immediately and beating up some nuns with a 2x4. So yeah, I apologise for any spelling and/or grammar mistakes and I'll try get back into the swing of things and check my next stuff properly before I click 'Publish Post'.

4 comments:

  1. Nice one.

    GBAY. (Godspeed Back At You. Just made it up myself.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am writing that down for future use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment ... your blog is pretty darn awesome, I must say. I mean, "The Cheesecake Paradox" ... just speaks for itself really. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha cheers. It's all in the name ;)
    I'm quite a fan on your blog myself, it's a damn good read. I also like the fact that you jazz up your posts with lots of pics and vids etc, it really does add to what's already a great read.

    ReplyDelete